fozbery

Low Immune System?

Rate this topic

Hi There

I was wondering how may of you feel that you're immune system is lowered by your possible intolerance to gluten? I have had antibiotics twice already this year for strep throat and I feel like I am getting sick again, just a few days after I stopped the last course of antibiotics :-(

Is this common in Celiacs? I feel like I am not getting much nutrients at the moment and that Im constantly catching colds and tummy bugs.

Yes, before I went gluten free and even when I get glutened now, I do feel that I get sick a lot more than normal people. lol, just another symptom we all have to deal with I guess...

Hi There

I was wondering how may of you feel that you're immune system is lowered by your possible intolerance to gluten? I have had antibiotics twice already this year for strep throat and I feel like I am getting sick again, just a few days after I stopped the last course of antibiotics :-(

Is this common in Celiacs? I feel like I am not getting much nutrients at the moment and that Im constantly catching colds and tummy bugs.

how long have u been gluten free?? are u all healed up?

here are my thoughts:

if you are a Celiac or person with Gluten Intolerance, and you have been gluten free, and you have a normal immune system (meaning you make adequate amounts of Iga, and have enough healthy gut flora)-> then u should be no less healthy than the next person.

but- if you are one with a deficiency in Iga (which IS common in Celiacs)- or u r deficient in healthy gut flora levels (which is also common in Celiacs)- then, you WILL be more vulnerable to illness.

or- none of these could matter at all... you DID say that you've already been on antibiotics TWICE this year-> pharmaceutical antibiotics KILL all the GOOD bacteria as well as the bad- making you completely vulnerable to additional infections.

if i am given antibiotics- it is a guarantee that i will get a couple of more illnesses... whether or not thats because im slightly Iga deficient & low on gut mucous defense... or if its because antibiotics are so strong they wipe everything out... idk.

how long have u been gluten free?? are u all healed up?

here are my thoughts:

if you are a Celiac or person with Gluten Intolerance, and you have been gluten free, and you have a normal immune system (meaning you make adequate amounts of Iga, and have enough healthy gut flora)-> then u should be no less healthy than the next person.

but- if you are one with a deficiency in Iga (which IS common in Celiacs)- or u r deficient in healthy gut flora levels (which is also common in Celiacs)- then, you WILL be more vulnerable to illness.

or- none of these could matter at all... you DID say that you've already been on antibiotics TWICE this year-> pharmaceutical antibiotics KILL all the GOOD bacteria as well as the bad- making you completely vulnerable to additional infections.

if i am given antibiotics- it is a guarantee that i will get a couple of more illnesses... whether or not thats because im slightly Iga deficient & low on gut mucous defense... or if its because antibiotics are so strong they wipe everything out... idk.

Thanks for your replies. I am not gluten free yet and was wondering if it was also another symptom of celiacs.

I caught everything that even drove around the block until I went gluten free.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your replies. I am not gluten free yet and was wondering if it was also another symptom of celiacs.

quite possible yes... before i had ever even heard of celiac or gluten intolerance-> i had actually had HUGE success going on Atkins & then The Bloodtype Diet (with both i took out all complex carbs ESP. wheat)- but i still had soy sauce and stuff (cause i didnt know)... anyways before i took wheat out of my diet.. from about the age of 14-28.. i had Bronchitis EVERY YEAR for 4-6 weeks.. i even thought i had Pleurisy one year- i was sick for almost 3 months.. but maybe i had just pulled every single intercostal muscle while coughing.

so that- and also i had post nasal drip pretty much year round.

in my 30's... even tho i had not gone 100% gluten free yet- i only caught sore throats once in a while.

so, ya- getting sick a lot could very well be another symptom. hurry up and get whatever testing done that you want.. so u can figure things out :)

quite possible yes... before i had ever even heard of celiac or gluten intolerance-> i had actually had HUGE success going on Atkins & then The Bloodtype Diet (with both i took out all complex carbs ESP. wheat)- but i still had soy sauce and stuff (cause i didnt know)... anyways before i took wheat out of my diet.. from about the age of 14-28.. i had Bronchitis EVERY YEAR for 4-6 weeks.. i even thought i had Pleurisy one year- i was sick for almost 3 months.. but maybe i had just pulled every single intercostal muscle while coughing.

so that- and also i had post nasal drip pretty much year round.

in my 30's... even tho i had not gone 100% gluten free yet- i only caught sore throats once in a while.

so, ya- getting sick a lot could very well be another symptom. hurry up and get whatever testing done that you want.. so u can figure things out :)

Its strange because a long time ago I did the atkins diet, to loose weight. That was before my problems started and I felt terrible on the atkins diet, I sometimes blame that diet for my digestive problems. Its not exactly health is it!?

Its strange because a long time ago I did the atkins diet, to loose weight. That was before my problems started and I felt terrible on the atkins diet, I sometimes blame that diet for my digestive problems. Its not exactly health is it!?

well, i dont want to start an ugly debate on here- but i am a firm firm believer in the bloodtype diet. i am a type O- and so the atkins diet felt fabulous to me. of course i ate a pretty healthy version.. i never ate pork cooked in pig fat with bacon, etcccc... i always ate a steak with a bowl of spinach.. or an omelette with lots of veggies.

according to the bloodtype- if you are bloodtype A, then the Atkins diet would make u feel pretty awful and maybe even fat.

my friend i danced with- she was a Type B... when she went on Atkins- she ended up in the Hospital- her kidneys were failing- and she's only in her 20s. when i told her about the BTD- she gave up her soy, and switched to regular dairy- and also added potatoes- and she LOST WEIGHT & felt great.

Regardless whether u believe me or not.... u will see that we all agree on here- that everyone is different and feels better eating different ways.

****also, remember, whatever diet u choose- always make sure you modify it to be 100% gluten free

but ya- for me, personally- eating nothing but meat & veggies was the best i ever felt in my life.