This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy Results

Chas

Chas Newbie

Hi,

I hate that I even have to post on here for answers but am glad I am able to. My GI doc didn't feel it necessary for a follow up appointment to go over my results. Instead, based off my HIDA scan, is sending me off to a surgeon for my gallbladder to be removed. I am still waiting on my blood work, but while at the hospital I picked up my endoscopy pathology report.

It reads:

Sections of stomach show a mild infiltrate of small lymphocytes in the lamina propria. No neutrophils in glandular epithelium, goblet cells, or glands lined by stratified and hyperchromatic nuclei are seen.

A:Duodendum biopsy: Essentially unremarkable duodenal mucosa. No accute inflammation,ulcer, celiac disease, or dysplasia seen.

B:Stomach biopsy: Mild, chronic gastritis. No accute inflammation, ulcer, intestinal meta plasia or dysplasia seen.

Hellicobacter pylori is negative.

Anyone else have similar report only to have the gluten-free diet help? I am still waiting on blood work results, however, on Monday I eliminated gluten. My stomach has been QUIET, I haven't been "C", my gallbladder hasn't STUNG me, but the most significant change was after I eat, I haven't gotten super fatigued and gotten a headache. for a few years now, I randomly will feel like I am coming down with the flu: headache, foggy brain, glassy eyes, super tired and sometime sore throat. But as quickly as it comes, it seems to go. And after keeping a food journal once my gallbladder started acting up, I started putting the pieces together. Well, after 4 days of being gluten free, today out of stupidity I suppose, I was just CRAVING gluten. I can't explain it. I just felt like I had to have it and since there are no tests showing I have it yet, maybe I am crazy (honestly that is how I feel!) So I ate a tempura/mayo/sauce covered sushi roll smothered in soy....and when I got home, the headache crept in, my stomach started rumbling, I was soooo sleepy, and my gallbladder began to sting. Now I just feel really BLAH.

For the first time in my life, I am connecting my food to how I have been feeling--after years of being diagnosed with so many different issues (from colitis to IBS to anemia and STRESSED) and just always feeling irritable/no energy---Why didn't I think of this sooner?!

All of that to say, I thought it wouldn't bother me if the biopsy didn't turn up anything. Because ultimately if the diet makes me feel better then who cares? But, it is bothering me and I just want solid answers. And now I just find myself PRAYING that my blood work shows something. ANYTHING.

Is it possible that the biopsy wouldn't show anything since I am only 25? Maybe my small intestine hasn't been damaged yet? I was just positive it would though, since in the last year and a half, suddenly I am lactose intolerant and I thought that would only happen if my villi were damaged. But that's the other thing--I don't see anything about "villi" on the report. Is that the "duodenal mucosa"?

Thank if you made it this far. I am just looking in to anything I can to avoid gallbladder removal and get some answers. But my GI nurse told me that I won't need a followup appt unless once I get my gallbladder removed and I am still experiencing pain. GAH!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chas Newbie

Also, wanted to add that since that post, I have had HORRIBLE stabbing pains in my lower abdomen and "D"...Going back gluten-free IMMEDIATELY!!! This is clearly not "in my head"...It's sad that we all have to sit here and question ourselves over and over and OVER. It's maddening!

mushroom Proficient

I am sorry that life is not going to be black and white for you. Many of us have to live in the grey where we have to go by our gut instincts. It sounds like you have the right instincts.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I may be reading this wrong but it sounds like he only did one biopsy that would have been looking for celiac not the 6 from different areas in the small intestine that are advised. It sounds like the diet is going to save you from having to deal with the gallbladder issues. Thats really a good sign. Your recurrance of symptoms when you challenged with gluten is also a good indication that you need to stay away from it. Go with what your gut is telling you. Sometimes the body has the answers that tests can't give us.

nora-n Rookie

can you get the blood tests while you still have antibodies? They disappear very quickly.

The damage in the small intestines is typical patchy. So they might have mised the spots.

Archived