This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida And Threelac?

zebaldwin

zebaldwin Explorer

So, I was online for a long time last night...in my continued search for my problems (while I'm still waiting for results from no gluten...) And through candida, I have read accounts of people with my exact symptoms and situations (first time yet). On an impulse, and maybe without really thinking, I bought a box of threelac. However, reading so many good reviews, there is a lot of skepticism. I trust the people on this board.

Has anyone tried it, and benefited? Also, if any sufferers of candida could just pitch in your journey that would be great.

I tested highly positive on the "spit test" but I understand a lot of people think that is a hoax... (although before I read that, I was super excited thinking I had found my problem! So if nothing else, it gave me hope for a few minutes)

I appreciate any help, thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lalama Apprentice

I am not an expert in this area but I did try to treat myself naturally for candida over the summer. I did a lot of research and almost bought threelac but then decided to go for a strong probiotic at the health store. I did this because a couple reviewers stated that it would be just as effective and less expensive...But I don't know for sure? I also completely cut out all sugar, including fruit, dairy, and carbs (except occasional quinoa) and ate a lot of protein and veggies. I used coconut oil to help kill off the yeast, starting off in small amounts and working up to the recommended dose. There are many posts about candida on here that you can find out some info on.

You might want to get tested for it, I don't know how accurate the spit test is.

zebaldwin Explorer

How did the treatment work? (also, what were your symptoms?)

Lalama Apprentice

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out what symptoms were from gluten or candida because there is such an overlap. I cut out gluten, sugar and dairy all at the same time so it made it harder to figure out. But the symptoms I had include, fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, sugar and carb cravings, super itchy scalp, sinus inflamation, sore throat-ecspecially after eating sugar, "IBS",acne-specifically perioral dermititis, inflamation and stiffness in my neck and upper back...

So far most of these symptoms have gone away- however I never reverted back to my old diet. I have only added in a couple of foods like brown rice, green apples and berries as they do not seem to bother me anymore. Now that I have been off of refined sugar and carbs for a good amount of time I immediately notice how much inflamation it causes in my body when I consume them. I have a lot more energy now-even being caffeine free :D !

IrishHeart Veteran

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out what symptoms were from gluten or candida because there is such an overlap. I cut out gluten, sugar and dairy all at the same time so it made it harder to figure out. But the symptoms I had include, fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, sugar and carb cravings, super itchy scalp, sinus inflamation, sore throat-ecspecially after eating sugar, "IBS",acne-specifically perioral dermititis, inflamation and stiffness in my neck and upper back...

So far most of these symptoms have gone away- however I never reverted back to my old diet. I have only added in a couple of foods like brown rice, green apples and berries as they do not seem to bother me anymore. Now that I have been off of refined sugar and carbs for a good amount of time I immediately notice how much inflamation it causes in your body when I consume them. I have a lot more energy now-even being caffeine free :D !

LALAMA!!

Your post is so encouraging!!We share similar symptoms and right now, I am also dairy, soy, and sugar free. I've gone practically paleo because I am reacting to salicylates in foods.

ZACK--I chased my tail with the candida thing. Spit test is useless. I had spit tendrils in the glass , too and thought AHA! but a stool analysis and a small bowel follow through showed no sign of yeast. I had myself convinced it was systemic yeast. Begged doctor for medicine. All it did was make my stomach hurt like hell. I took coconut oil and avoided the same foods Lalama did.

You have to give the gluten-free diet some time. Knock out the sugar and dairy, take it easy on the carbs. There are good candida diets to follow--just google it! And...take a good probiotic.

etta694 Explorer

I have taken Threelac. Boy, have I taken Threelac. I started taking it and was on it for about a year, maybe a little longer. One thing I will tell you, it is not licensed for use in Canada or Australia and the reason is "Australia and Canada have issued warnings about the E. Faecalis bacteria and have disallowed entry of products that contain them because of their ability to mutate against antibiotics. Studies have shown that this pathogen is increasingly being detected in patients confined in hospitals which mean they are deadly to those with lowered immune defenses."

I would caution anyone using it in any way other than directed. I felt I had a very bad yeast infection. It was the only explanation I could see for exhaustion, bloating, incessant food cravings, feeling sick... I went on the candida diet and felt fantastic (which doesn't contain any gluten either). So I took the Threelac at the highest dose advised - I felt better but I just couldn't win the battle. It says you don't have to change your diet so I did eat some carbs.. but not much. So I went up a bit higher - and gave myself an intestinal bacterial infection. Then I need antibiotics. By the time I finished all of that I was getting very sick.. and the gluten problem was full blown. I had been eating gluten before that and that was probably my problem.

etta694 Explorer

To be informed you may want to google E. Faecalis and cancer as well. "Bacteria called Enterococcus faecalis that live in human intestines may produce harmful chemicals that damage DNA and trigger gene activity linked to colon cancer, a U.S. study says.

E. Faecalis, also known as Group D Streptococcus, is one of many normally harmless or beneficial kinds of bacteria that live in the human gut. But in some people, E. faecalis may pose a threat, say researchers at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Oklahoma City, BBC News reported." Had I known all this I probably would not have taken Threelac in such high dose.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lalama Apprentice

To be informed you may want to google E. Faecalis and cancer as well. "Bacteria called Enterococcus faecalis that live in human intestines may produce harmful chemicals that damage DNA and trigger gene activity linked to colon cancer, a U.S. study says.

E. Faecalis, also known as Group D Streptococcus, is one of many normally harmless or beneficial kinds of bacteria that live in the human gut. But in some people, E. faecalis may pose a threat, say researchers at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Oklahoma City, BBC News reported." Had I known all this I probably would not have taken Threelac in such high dose.

That's very interesting! Do you think that means that strong probiotics could potentially do the same thing?

Irishheart: I forgot to add no soy products either! Good luck with your diet=)

etta694 Explorer

That's (e.faecalis) the only bacterial strain that the articles talk about in relation to infections and cancer and it is only in Threelac. Every other probiotic has only 'normal' flora. Threelac has been developed by the Japanese and the bacteria were cultured specifically to attack candida. Other probiotics just compete and overwhelm candida, if you are lucky. I thought I had the magic bullet when I started taking Threelac - but I didn't realize that there could be any other issue causing my symptoms.. and gluten intolerance seems to have been the answer.. not candida.

etta694 Explorer

I will also say that a friend and I started taking Threelac at the same time. She never did go to the higher dose. We both took it for about a year... and we both became gluten intolerant at the same time... coincidence? :huh: I don't know. I have a theory but it's nothing I can prove. All I know is that I 'traumatized' my gut with a bacterial infection and the antibiotics (and an anti-parasite medication) [yes, I was desperate to have my life back and I was SO exhausted ALL the time..] After all that, when I went off gluten, I finally (after 6 yrs) felt human again. I could cry even thinking about how good it felt to feel well again. :D My heart goes out to those struggling with symptoms and the emotions that go with that. :(

zebaldwin, if you haven't yet been gluten free for any length of time... don't jump into anything too fast...meaning it could be that you need to give eating gluten free time.

zebaldwin Explorer

Etta,

Thanks for all the info!

I might have jumped the gun with the threelac, but I am just so desperate...

Now I have to worry about getting cancer or something from it :( (was only planning on doing very low dosage anyway)

I'll try it for a couple weeks and see if there is any difference.

Did you feel better? (is that why you kept taking it)

I mean, if I do feel better from it, should I assume I need a probiotic and just get something different?

(sorry, this is kind of throwing off my grove lol)

With the gluten-free it's going on 2 weeks with no real noticeable improvement. I know it takes patience, but I feel like I would have felt SOMETHING by now...so it's a little discouraging.

So do you think I should just count the $50 threelac as an expensive mistake and find another probiotic? There is just so much gray area with this, with everybody having a different opinion...so it's really hard.

Uugh. I CAN'T WAIT until I can cry with happiness. And I know I will the second this curse leaves me...

etta694 Explorer

zebaldwin, I feel your frustration! Are you sure that you are eliminating every source of gluten? No sunflower seeds that may have been bagged on the same line with a wheat product? It can be very tricky to get the gluten out.

I did feel the Threelac helped (before it got out of control) but, of course, it wouldn't have ever dealt with the real problem for me. If you take it, be sparing.. don't take too much. I think I went up to 7 envelopes a day... way too many. From what I remember, you start with 2 for 6 wks and then go up from there increasing until your symptoms disappear. You know, I just can't recommend staying on it for a long time... because of my experience. But I can't see a month with the small dose being a problem. BUT I COULD BE WRONG. One must always go with your gut. :P That's sort of a pun. ;)

Also, probiotics are absolutely a good thing.. Threelac is just a different kind of animal... if you know what I mean. B)

zebaldwin Explorer

What other probiotic would you recommend? I have actually been eating yogurt the past couple days and I actually feel a little better (maybe it's just in my head)

etta694 Explorer

It could very well be that you need them. I really don't know brands but I go to the local health food store and get one with lots of bugs. I have Ultimate Flora by Renew Life 50 Billion but there are lots of good brands and that may not be available where you are. There must be others on the forum with their favorite but I just asked the health food guy what was good.

etta694 Explorer

I also found aloe vera juice to be very excellent in knocking back my symptoms.. IF I stayed true to the diet. Like Lalama and IrishHeart said.. it's all about what you DON'T eat. I didn't know about coconut oil. That's a new one I want to try.

Archived