healinginprogress

If I Have Celiac And Ibs...

Rate this topic

When my blood test results came back positive, my doctor mentioned he thinks there might be more than one thing going on...possibly a combination of celiac and IBS.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: on an elimination diet, you're supposed to eliminate all but a few "safe" foods for about 4 days or until your symptoms go away, and then add in some other foods. But if I have IBS, which I don't think is necessarily triggered by SPECIFIC foods...will I even GET to being symptom free on the elimination diet?

Do you mean IBS or IBD? IBS is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom of another disease, like Celiac disease. Most doctors say it's IBS when they have no idea what is causing your bowels to be irritable. So the short answer is yes, if something other than gluten is bothering you you should be able to figure it out by an elimination diet. It is also possible that you have just not elimianted all sources of gluten cross-contamination and the gluten is causing your IBS.

When my blood test results came back positive, my doctor mentioned he thinks there might be more than one thing going on...possibly a combination of celiac and IBS.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: on an elimination diet, you're supposed to eliminate all but a few "safe" foods for about 4 days or until your symptoms go away, and then add in some other foods. But if I have IBS, which I don't think is necessarily triggered by SPECIFIC foods...will I even GET to being symptom free on the elimination diet?

Well, since doctors don't know what causes IBS, I think it may be possible for IBS to actually be sometimes undiagnosed celiac disease. You won't know until you try, everybody is different.I would give the diet a chance, since you really have to give up the gluten anyway.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Do you mean IBS or IBD? IBS is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom of another disease, like Celiac disease. Most doctors say it's IBS when they have no idea what is causing your bowels to be irritable. So the short answer is yes, if something other than gluten is bothering you you should be able to figure it out by an elimination diet. It is also possible that you have just not elimianted all sources of gluten cross-contamination and the gluten is causing your IBS.

Hmm interesting, I didn't know that about IBS. Before I got really sick, when I mentioned symptoms my doctor brushed it off and said it's probably "IBS"..his words. Then when I did get sick and he finally decided to test things (after about 2 or 3 years), my test came back positive, and he said it's probably celiac, but maybe with something else, and he mentioned again "IBS".

So I don't know. I guess I'll just try the diet, and hopefully by Sunday or so my symptoms will be under control and I will find some relief!

Just a side note...I had my lactose intolerance test yesterday, and while the test came back negative, I did have gastro symptoms during the test. So I'm still cutting out dairy, soy, corn, eggs, nightshades, and, of course, GLUTEN!

Basically just chicken, rice (mostly brown), cucumbers, spinach, yams, apples, pears, olive oil, salt and pepper, and maybe some parsley and carrots.

• Upvote 1