pondy

Are Spicy Foods Safe?

Rate this topic

Today I had a gluten free Amy's Kitchen meal - Matar Paneer - and soon after experienced moderate burning pain in my upper intestines and a mild headache.

I'm wondering if it could have been the spices.

Since being diagnosed with Celiac (about a week ago) & eating gluten free, I've been sticking to rather bland foods (mostly out of fear & confusion as to what to eat).

Any thoughts about bland vs. spicy foods? I'm hoping to still enjoy super hot green chili stew this year!

I would also get stomach burning when first diagnosed.AS time goes on and you start healing it will become less frequent.Just had some spicy Salami no burning.Gine yourself plenty of time eat basic foods at first introduce the rest gradually.Good luck things will get better.

I have read a lot of posts about people having gluten reactions to Amy's "gluten free" meals. I stay far away from them for this reason. If you are super sensitive to cc the Amy's meals may not be safe for you.

• Upvote 1

I can't eat the Amy's meals either. When I want something quick that I can microwave, I stick with Dinty Moore beef stew and steamfresh rice.

Sorry you are not feeling well!

Spicy meals as long as they are gluten free are fine for us. Your green chili stew should be fine as long as everything in it is gluten free.

I won't buy Amy's either...I tried the pizza (not very good and grossly over-priced). Then I tried another frozen entree and it wasn't very good and my stomach hurt badly, something I didn't even have in my worse moments prior to diagnosis. Then I tried one of her soups and it was terrible...I can do better. So three strikes, she's out.

"Spicy" is fine as long as you are healed, and it's not cross contaminated nor another allergy, intolerance, or just general doesn't agree with you.

In general, everything spicy you make out of whole ingredients, like jalapenos (seeds removed, of course) is going to be a bit less risky than a manufactured product.

Being diagnosed only a week, I would expect that most foods will be bothersome, with dairy in particular.

I would keep it simple until you heal a bit and your system settles. Stay away from processed foods. You can later give it a go and see how you feel.