Sparks

Delay In Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Question: Could gluten cause a reaction 3 days later?

I was diagnosed with IBS, and was trying a gluten-free diet to see if it helped. I was pretty grouchy the first couple weeks, but then I felt *great* (mentally, at least--I think most of my digestive problems stem from fructose malabsorption). Motivated! Happy! Energetic! Then life happened, work became stressful and most of the mental benefits seemed to fade.

Saturday, after being gluten-free for about a month and a half, I ate a whole bunch of gluten. Hamburger bun, cupcake, couple girl-scout cookies. I felt okay. Maybe a little tired the next day, but nothing that I could pin directly to the gluten. Great, I thought, gluten isn't my problem!

Now, I don't think grains are all that great for human consumption in the first place, so I kept avoiding gluten even after the 'test'. And everything seemed fine. Until last night.

Yesterday, I went to the bathroom in the morning and had a normal bm. Everything I ate was something I've had regularly in the past month and a half with no problems. But last night, I had an attack of D. Not just loose stools-- I mean feeling sick, waves of cramping, etc.

My question is: could this be caused by gluten? Or is it too late to have caused the reaction? I never had a problem with D before, only C ( which avoiding all dairy save butter has abated).

3 days is the exact amount of time it takes for my body to have D after being glutened. I do have some symptoms show up the next day, like depression and exhaustion with some stomach growls but the D hits 3 days later. My doctor said it can take up to a week for some folks. So yes I do think your D 3 days later was likely a gluten reaction.

That's what I was afraid of. I thought it unlikely as I'd had a normal bathroom trip earlier in the day. :(