beatha

Waterproof Tape

Rate this topic

I used the search function on here first, but just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and/or if it may be gluten-related...

Went to the chiro, and he gave me some waterproof tape to use (my patella moves around when I fall during roller derby, so this is an interim fix while a patella band is on order).

I was careful to change the tape often (had it on for a few days), but after I took it off last time, I noticed the area beginning to ITCH like crazy. Rolled my jeans up a couple of hours later, and there are bright red blistery stripes where the tape was.

I have gotten something that looks like dh on my feet and hands in the past (as an adult, most recently the last time I had gluten it cropped up), but with no itch factor. Also had strange scalp conditions as well with no definite diagnosis, almost like cradle cap but this was as a child/adolescent. I have self-diagnosed as gluten intolerant, not sure about full-blown celiac.

Any thoughts?

Do you happen to have a problem with latex? I'm asking because my son had the same thing happen with bandages and broke out with hives from a bath mat.

Do you happen to have a problem with latex? I'm asking because my son had the same thing happen with bandages and broke out with hives from a bath mat.

No - other than gluten and penicillin, no other issues known.

reactions to adheisve are QUITE common and may not indicate anything other than the fact that your skin was irritated. if the area expands beyond the tape, then it is more concerning. if it goes away over a day or two with the tape off, you may just need to minimize how often you use the tape. (make sure to wash well with soap and water, and you may have to find specific adhesive remover if it leaves bits of adhesive behind on your skin.)

I have problems with many types of adhesive tape. Perhaps until the knee brace you have ordered comes in an ace wrap or OTC knee support band might help. My knees dislocate because of a hypermobility syndrome and I have found good supports in sports supply shops.