snifter

What's Your Vote?

Rate this topic

First let me thank you in advance! You are appreciated!! Ok so I've been gluten free since October 2010 of course I have a ton of questions!

This weekend was babysitting at another house and might have got glutened but it could have been something else. I had a fruit cup, maybe the pears in it? I can't have bananas anymore. I can't be around a mango tree so I was thinking there might be some kind of fruit connection? Anyway I broke out in a rash that night. And I have been icthy all week ! I just can't stand it anymore it's just not going away like I thought it would. Do you have a rash from gluten or is it more likely from something else?

Gluten free kitchen- right now my kitchen is not gluten free because I have a 16 month old baby and I am letting her eat gluten because her pediatrician said we can test her blood for celiac at 18 months and I figure she needs to eat gluten for it to show up! Mine did not show up in blood. I have a mass in my stomach and had a biopsy. Is there any harm with her being gluten free. I feel I really need my kitchen to be gluten free so that I won't get conaminated left and right from my own baby! She will have visible crumbs all over her! I feel like I can't kiss and hug all over her because of the gluten! Ahhhh! Frustration!!

So what's your opinion and advice. Again thank you thank you, I can't show my gratitude enough I hope you have a great day

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a gluten free house. Testing on children has a higher rate of false negatives anyway at that age. It isn't going to hurt her to be gluten free and will help you be a healthier mommy. Once she is old enough to be less 'crumbly' and will be able to sit at a table to have her gluten foods and not make an extreme mess then go ahead and let her have it. She isn't going to be more likely to develop celiac or issues with gluten because of being gluten free now. However if she does have an issue with gluten once you start feeding it to her again you may notice symptoms in her behavior, growth or tummy aches.

• Upvote 1

My vote is to go totally gluten free. Take care of yourself! Your little one will never miss it. It will make life so much easier for you.

As for getting her tested, I wouldn't worry about it right now. If symptoms or problems develop in the future, then deal with them at that time.

My perspective on this - my kitchen is gradually going gluten-free. I still have a few gluten items for small children (6 & 4) who have favorite snacks. However, I am making changes to their habits and brands. FYI, they tested negative but I'm not going to take that as an all clear for them. Like was posted before, they probably have a higher false-negative rate. If they develop issues, then we will do something then.

• Upvote 1

Dr.Alessio Fasano is doing a study on this ..He has clients /patients that are not giving their children any gluten for the first two years of life. The study is new so h ecan't make a judgement call at present but down the road this study will make a difference.He's not sure if it will keep or help a child from developing celiac or if it will only prolong the child to develop at a later age.He is with the University of Maryland,may be you can look up his research to date. I'm on my way out for supper or I'd do it...

I for one have never seen a death from not eating wheat/gluten....

I would follow your heart & decide for yourself &your child.You know best.........

blessings

mamaw

My rule is they can eat whatever they want outside the house, but in the house, the kitchen is my domain and I need to be safe. The kid and my husband had pizza outside today and I ate my lunch inside. Then we washed up lil guys hands and face and brushed his teeth. At school (he's 2.5) they adhere to the same rules.

It has seemed to help me a lot and I am hoping to have continued success with the new baby as well!

• Upvote 1

I agree with keeping the house gluten free. Your little one's not going to suffer by your keeping the house gluten-free and you can possibly make her own gluten-free baby food (or check Whole Foods and see if they carry it). Your baby is going to need a healthy energetic mother more than a diet with gluten in it.

Sending positive energy!

Loey smile.gifsmile.gif

• Upvote 1

You have just confirmed my thoughts! Again thank you!

Add smiley faces here

• Upvote 1