Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoequeen

Blood Test Results

I had an endoscopy last Tuesday and after I woke up the doctor said I has celiacs, they took a biopsy which is not back yet (tomorrow hopefully) and a full celiac blood panel. I called today and got the results of the blood work- all negative. He said "it doesnt mean anything" that I have to wait until I get the pathology back. From what Im reading online, it looks like the blood test is 98% accurate! How is it even possible that I still have celiacs?

This makes no sense to me...

I just got faxed the results- they tested for IGA- <3 and IGA Serum 160. All the other tests it says "test not preformed" why wouldnt they test for everything? Could it be that after they test those two and they were normal they dont continue testing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The blood tests and biopsies have a pretty high rate of false negatives. If your doctor could see celiac related damage it is quite certain that you are celiac despite the negative blood tests. Since you have finished your testing you can start the diet today. You don't need to wait for the biopsy results. Welcome to the board, ask any questions you need to and read as much as you can.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I just got faxed the results- they tested for IGA- <3 and IGA Serum 160. All the other tests it says "test not preformed" why wouldnt they test for everything? Could it be that after they test those two and they were normal they dont continue testing?

IgA what? Is there more of a description with that?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

IgA what? Is there more of a description with that?

It just says

(tTG) AB, IGA <3

Endomysial AB IGA- test not performed

Endomysial AB Titer- Test not performed

IGA Serum - 160

(tTG) AB IGG- Test not performed

make sense to anyone?

It just says

(tTG) AB, IGA <3

Endomysial AB IGA- test not performed

Endomysial AB Titer- Test not performed

IGA Serum - 160

(tTG) AB IGG- Test not performed

make sense to anyone?

They didn't do a full celiac panel, you can have a negative on one test and a positive on another. Blood tests have a high rate of false negative and a endoscopic biopsy is what they use to diagnose anyways. If you have a positive biopsy than you have celiac.

Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011