katiekay

Why Is Testing Important?

Rate this topic

I'm new to celiacs stuff... curious if a person knows gluten is hard on the system why is testing important? Is it insurance? Just trying to figure out since I may get negative result due to going gluten-free for about a week for other reasons... I have been back on wheat for 4 days now... I am intense pain. I think it is the gluten (could be coincidental). If it comes back negative I kinda want to go gluten-free anyway but wondering if there is a reason to keep eating gluten to try and get a positive test result??

I'm new to celiacs stuff... curious if a person knows gluten is hard on the system why is testing important? Is it insurance? Just trying to figure out since I may get negative result due to going gluten-free for about a week for other reasons... I have been back on wheat for 4 days now... I am intense pain. I think it is the gluten (could be coincidental). If it comes back negative I kinda want to go gluten-free anyway but wondering if there is a reason to keep eating gluten to try and get a positive test result??

Please get a Celiac Serologic Panel (blood test) asap. Going gluten free for a week should not interfere with your results. It obvious that you have an issues.

If you have intense pain, you need to see a doctor and be tested. You want to rule out more serious concerns.

Please do so and check back with us. :)

confused... for supper tonight I was at someone else's house and had mashed potatoes and carrots... no gluten. I have had gluten during every other meal... why would I have a reaction tonight??? is it just a delayed reaction from lunch and breakfast and the last few days????

Yes, it can be a delayed reaction. It can also be that there is damage from the gluten and your pain and digestive problems can continue until you are gluten free for a period of time long enough to heal.

It is not a direct cause and effect relationship like you have to feel bad only directly after eating gluten.

That is why it is so hard to figure out and why people can remain mildly to severly ill for years until they find out is actually is a problem with gluten.

A lot of people decide to forego the testing because they cannot tolerate the symptoms of eating gluten long enough to get the test. It really is up to you.

confused... for supper tonight I was at someone else's house and had mashed potatoes and carrots... no gluten. I have had gluten during every other meal... why would I have a reaction tonight??? is it just a delayed reaction from lunch and breakfast and the last few days????

It could be because they cook the potatoes in the same pot they use for pasta....

do you mean even if pot has been washed??????

do you mean even if pot has been washed??????

yes. I spent my first two weeks gluten-free, glutening myself because I was using my pasta pot for my mashed potatoes.

It can take a while for reactions...especially when your digestive systems is all messed up. Also, some people who have gluten sensitivities have other intolerances. Maybe dairy or something else is bothering you too. You just never know.

As to why testing is important, it is different for everyone. I plan on going gluten free as soon as possible to see if it helps. But I am waiting on starting because I am still going through testing. For myself I would rather know if this is something that I am having an intolerance or sensitivity to that may go away in time, or if this is something that hurts by body permanently that I have to steer clear of for life. That, and if it is celiac I have family that have some symptoms that I would like tested.

How do you ever eat at someone else's home then???? Oh crap!!! This is hard.

goodnews - thanks for your post. I am so uncomfortable... hopefully I get a positive blood test result today and then just not have to think further on that subject.

Eating at other people's homes and in rstaurants is very difficult. Even eating in your own home in the beginning months is difficult until you learn all the ways you can be cross contaminated. But you will get the hang of it eventually. Read as much as you can and I'm glad your test was so soon.

Collanders, scratched pots and pans, shared utensils like wooden spoons, gluten in lipsick, not being able to kiss a gluten eater before they brush their teeth are all part of the process of keeping yourself safe if indeed you do have Celiac/Gluten Intolerance.

But it is possible so don't lose hope. And it is worth it all to feel better. I hope you can feel better soon.