This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thoughts On My Toddlers Test Results Please

brendab

brendab Contributor

I thought I'd post some words and numbers because Dr's don't really have time to help you fully understand.

stool testing was done, all say "normal" Calprotectin is <16 (<16-50 ug/g is normal range) No other numbers are given with any other fecal tests.

blood testing:

monocytes seems to be highlighted: results is 12 with a reference interval: 3-10 What is that?

albumin, serum is highlighted: result is 4.3 with a reference interval: 3.4-4.2

The rest I am not sure what is important to include?

Immunoglibulin E, Total 121 IU/mL reference is 0-60 From what I understand this is HOW allergic you are to things.

He has low Vit. D of 21.1 reference is 32.0-100.0 So he's taking extra D now.

antigliadin abs, IgG

deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG result 2 units reverence interval 0-19 and it says "negative"

t-transglutaminase (tTG) IgA result is 0 (0-3 is neg.)

t-transglutaminase (tTG) IgG result is 1 (0-5) neg.)

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S

T4, Free (direct) result is 1.09 ng/dL reference interval: 0.85-1.75

Sedimentation rate-westergren result is 1 mm/hr reverence interval: 0-20

Immunoglobulin A, Gn, Serum result is 47 mg/dL reference interval: 20-100

C-Reactive Protein, Quant result is 0.4 mg/L reference interval: 0.0-4.9

ferritin, serum (iron?) result is 24 ng/mL reference interval: 30-400 (males)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

adab8ca Enthusiast

I thought I'd post some words and numbers because Dr's don't really have time to help you fully understand.

stool testing was done, all say "normal" Calprotectin is <16 (<16-50 ug/g is normal range) No other numbers are given with any other fecal tests.

blood testing:

monocytes seems to be highlighted: results is 12 with a reference interval: 3-10 What is that?

albumin, serum is highlighted: result is 4.3 with a reference interval: 3.4-4.2

The rest I am not sure what is important to include?

Immunoglibulin E, Total 121 IU/mL reference is 0-60 From what I understand this is HOW allergic you are to things.

He has low Vit. D of 21.1 reference is 32.0-100.0 So he's taking extra D now.

antigliadin abs, IgG

deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG result 2 units reverence interval 0-19 and it says "negative"

t-transglutaminase (tTG) IgA result is 0 (0-3 is neg.)

t-transglutaminase (tTG) IgG result is 1 (0-5) neg.)

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S

T4, Free (direct) result is 1.09 ng/dL reference interval: 0.85-1.75

Sedimentation rate-westergren result is 1 mm/hr reverence interval: 0-20

Immunoglobulin A, Gn, Serum result is 47 mg/dL reference interval: 20-100

C-Reactive Protein, Quant result is 0.4 mg/L reference interval: 0.0-4.9

ferritin, serum (iron?) result is 24 ng/mL reference interval: 30-400 (males)

The Fe and D and low, often seen in Celiac.

I BELIEVE (do not know much about it though) that the celiac specific blood tests can be unreliable in small children.

Did you have an endoscopy? I presume that celiac -like symptoms brought you to the Dr.? May be worht removing gluten and see if it helps...

brendab Contributor

The Fe and D and low, often seen in Celiac.

I BELIEVE (do not know much about it though) that the celiac specific blood tests can be unreliable in small children.

Did you have an endoscopy? I presume that celiac -like symptoms brought you to the Dr.? May be worht removing gluten and see if it helps...

I know it couldn't be accurate in his case simply because I was gluten free while nursing him and he had MOSTLY been gluten free up until he we made his appt. at 25 months of age; he was blood and stool tested at 27 months and had a biopsy/scope right after that. The doc said there was visible damage but not from Celiac but food allergy.

I had suspected gluten was the problem, he had been off of wheat due to a positive delayed allergy test since 7 months of age (through me as well as I was nursing him) and I gave him barley cereal in which caused a HUGE intestinal reaction that lasted a week or so. Removing gluten straightens his intestinal issues entirely.

kellynolan82 Explorer

I know it couldn't be accurate in his case simply because I was gluten free while nursing him and he had MOSTLY been gluten free up until he we made his appt. at 25 months of age; he was blood and stool tested at 27 months and had a biopsy/scope right after that. The doc said there was visible damage but not from Celiac but food allergy.

I had suspected gluten was the problem, he had been off of wheat due to a positive delayed allergy test since 7 months of age (through me as well as I was nursing him) and I gave him barley cereal in which caused a HUGE intestinal reaction that lasted a week or so. Removing gluten straightens his intestinal issues entirely.

I'd say it is definitely coeliac disease. A vast majority of concerns turn out to be realities in this case. Sorry to be the potential bearer of bad news, however so many I think underestimate the prevalence of coeliac/celiac disease. :(

All the best :)

brendab Contributor

I'd say it is definitely coeliac disease. A vast majority of concerns turn out to be realities in this case. Sorry to be the potential bearer of bad news, however so many I think underestimate the prevalence of coeliac/celiac disease. :(

All the best :)

I'm leaning that way. Not only for him but me as well. I've been buying up books on Celiac disease and the two newest books I have been reading have a basic list of symptoms and I'd have to say that my symptoms cover at least 75% of their list. I think if I am positive to the testing then I want to push to have his diagnosis made the same. This is really nagging at me badly and I cannot put it to rest.

Jestgar Rising Star

The doc said there was visible damage but not from Celiac but food allergy.

Ask the doc how he can tell the difference.....

brendab Contributor

Ask the doc how he can tell the difference.....

I could but she's hard to get a hold of. It's easier to ask here. She's already said he doesn't have Celiac but I don't buy it just yet simply because of his age and the fact that he had only eaten gluten for maybe 2 months total. Each time he eats gluten he has nasty intestinal results so it makes me wonder. I also react badly to gluten too so I am next. Woohoo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Well, we really don't know how the doc can tell the difference :huh: She may think it, but how does she KNOW?? You can't go by the blood testing because he was not eating gluten. And scopes are not reliable in toddlers. Take the poor wee fellow gluten free and let him heal, since it seems to affect him so badly.

Jestgar Rising Star

I think if I am positive to the testing then I want to push to have his diagnosis made the same. This is really nagging at me badly and I cannot put it to rest.

Why do you need this?

brendab Contributor

Why do you need this?

I'm just one of those silly people who is overly honest. It's easier for people to take you seriously when you say you have a disease rather than a sensitivity. I cannot simply lie and say he has Celiac's Disease, it would eat me up inside. Also, we have a very small budget and buying a new toaster and cookware, etc would be super expensive and not doable UNLESS there was a VERY good reason for it, like a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac's. Otherwise things will be just like this, the house won't be 100% gluten free. Silly to some but important to me :)

brendab Contributor

Well, we really don't know how the doc can tell the difference :huh: She may think it, but how does she KNOW?? You can't go by the blood testing because he was not eating gluten. And scopes are not reliable in toddlers. Take the poor wee fellow gluten free and let him heal, since it seems to affect him so badly.

This is all true and damage is damage. I know that gluten is causing issues with him, he got into some this past week and he's had major GI issues for the past 3 days. ICK! He's gluten free MOST of the time when his siblings aren't leaving their remain around the kitchen.

Archived