This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Transglutaminase Iga - Positive

clnewberry1

clnewberry1 Contributor

I was tested by Cyrex labs that is supposed to tests different parts of the gluten. I tested positive for Transglutaminase IGA (range .6-1.5) my results 9.83. I am not sure exactly what this means. I tested negative for Gliadin. My doctor said this is subset of Celiac. What does that mean. I have had a biopsy but was gluten free so it came back negative and I am not going through that again. I am just not sure of the diagnosis. She said that it's celiac but I am not as sesative as someone who tests positive to Gliadin. So if I was contaminated I probably wouldn't have a reaction.

I have anxiety so not really typical celiac symtoms.

Thanks for any input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

So, yes, it is almost definitely celiac disease. there is a very small chance that it could be inflammatory bowel disease, but it's more likely to be celiac disease ESPECIALLY if you've experienced a decrease in symptoms. gliadin testing is a little more variable.

You'll probably figure out quickly whether you react to contamination, and many people become more sensitive after withdrawing gluten.

deezer Apprentice

I was tested by Cyrex labs that is supposed to tests different parts of the gluten. I tested positive for Transglutaminase IGA (range .6-1.5) my results 9.83. I am not sure exactly what this means. I tested negative for Gliadin. My doctor said this is subset of Celiac. What does that mean. I have had a biopsy but was gluten free so it came back negative and I am not going through that again. I am just not sure of the diagnosis. She said that it's celiac but I am not as sesative as someone who tests positive to Gliadin. So if I was contaminated I probably wouldn't have a reaction.

I have anxiety so not really typical celiac symtoms.

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure if there are any "typical" Celiac symptoms anymore.... there seem to be so many manifestations.

According to Dr Peter Green (and if you don't have his book you should buy it), IgA and IgG Antigliadin Antibodies will disappear from the bloodstream faster after starting a gluten-free diet.

IgA Tissue Transgulatminase is agreed to be one of the key serologic markers for Celiac disease. Yet it is not 100% specific - there are other causes and and people who have Celiac can have a negative tTG test.

At this point you can assume you have Celiac and go 100% strict gluten free for life, or you could reintroduce gluten for awhile and have another biopsy or you could get a genetic test to validate if you have the genes for the disease.

nora-n Rookie

the ttg test which you had, is the main test for celiac.

The old antigliadin test is not a variation of the ttg test, nor a different part of gluten.

The ttg test is only positive when there has been significant tissue damage, and it is a marker for tissue damage.

it is not an antibody-to-gluten-test.

Debbie B in MD Explorer

the ttg test which you had, is the main test for celiac.

The old antigliadin test is not a variation of the ttg test, nor a different part of gluten.

The ttg test is only positive when there has been significant tissue damage, and it is a marker for tissue damage.

it is not an antibody-to-gluten-test.

So my daughter's positive >100, when the reference range is <5, is probably fairly certain a positive for Celiac? We are waiting to see the GI doc. She is gluten-free as of yesterday when we got the results.

clnewberry1 Contributor

I am super confused now.

My first test was a blood test done by Cyrex labs. Wheat IgG is out of range, 1.87 and range is .3-1.3 Transglutaminase IgA is out of range 9.83 and range is .6-1.5 I paid out of pocket for this test.

I had a second test done covered by insurance;

Endomysial Iga - negative run by mayo clinic.

Transglutam ABS - less than 1.2 normal is less than 6 run by mayo.

Transglutam IGA - less than 1.2 normai is less than 4 run by mayo.

Wheat IgG - high 3.1 with 2.0-5.0 being low.

Which test do I believe. The doctor at first said a subset of Celiac and now she is saying negative to Celiac. I really do not know what to think.

mushroom Proficient

So my daughter's positive >100, when the reference range is <5, is probably fairly certain a positive for Celiac? We are waiting to see the GI doc. She is gluten-free as of yesterday when we got the results.

Have you talked to the GI first? He may want to do an endoscopy and she should still be eating gluten for this test.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

clnewberry1 Contributor

Have you talked to the GI first? He may want to do an endoscopy and she should still be eating gluten for this test.

I had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy it was awful. I would just go on a gluten free diet vs. invasive testing. But that is just my opinon.

Archived