dube

Rice? Still Trying To Figure Out Whats Bothering Me?

Rate this topic

In keeping my food journal for the past several weeks, I think I might be having a problem with white rice. Not sure yet...Does anyone have problems with rice? I usually buy Carolina's enriched white rice...which they claim has no wheat in it....

In keeping my food journal for the past several weeks, I think I might be having a problem with white rice. Not sure yet...Does anyone have problems with rice? I usually buy Carolina's enriched white rice...which they claim has no wheat in it....

There's another recent post about this, but I definitely have a problem with it and I'm not the only one. In my case I think brown rice is worse than white, but I'm not eating any at the moment, so I'm not sure that I'm even fine with white.

What is an enriched rice? Could it be that whatever they are adding is what you're reacting to? Why not try a basic white rice, a lower gi one like basmati, give it a really thorough rinse before cooking too. If you react to that, then it's a pretty clear indication.

I never really have been bothered by rice. Usually I buy the expensive Lundgren kind. But now I'm wondering if my recent episodes have anything to do with the rice I bought at Safeway, cheaper and not the brand I usually buy. Tuesday I got sick. By Thursday I felt better. Now (Friday) this a.m. my stomach is feeling a bit (to borrow a word from another forum poster) burbly, and my head a little hot. I'm just going to rest some. It's so hard to know: 1) if it is the rice (and not the gluten-free choc chip cookies I baked last night) and 2) if the rice, whether it's gluten or some other sick-making thing.

My issue is that when I was sick on Wednesday, I had flu symptoms: joint aches and fever (in addition to stomach ache), and nauseous. Were those in fact not flu symptoms but gluten symptoms? I just don't see how I am to know. I ran out of the test kits from the company in Tallahassee, otherwise I'd test the rice. Maybe I should order more. They are expensive.

Plumbago

According to the Gluten Free Society, they say that 45% of Celiacs react to the gluten in rice and corn, not just the gliadins in wheat, barley and rye. They advocate a completely gluten-free diet. After I eliminated every trace of corn for 2 months, I tried to eat corn again and had the biggest gluten reaction. Huge. So you may not even realize you are sensitive until you let your body have a break from it. Rice gives me a smaller reaction too.

Also, 2 studies have found that corn gluten causes intestinal damage in Celiacs just as much as wheat gluten.

I suggest checking out the Gluten Free Society's site. Btw, corn is in citric acid, ascorbic acid, vitamins, supplements, iodized salt (dextrose) and a million other products.