KathrynL

Do All People With Celiac's Lose Weight Before Going gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I've always read that before people are diagnosed with Celiac's that weight loss is a primary symptoms. But, do people ever gain weight with Celiac's before going gluten-free?

The reason I ask is that I gained about 45 pounds over two years when I was eating gluten on a regular basis. When I went gluten-free after having a positive IgG test, I lost every pound. I'm now back to my normal weight, and feel much better. Does this ever happen with Celiac's, or gluten intolerance?

Weight loss is common, and unfortunately some doctors consider it a requirement for considering a diagnosis of celiac disease. But there are many celiacs who gain weight.

I lost 60# before I went off gluten. I gained 10# back once the calories stayed with me.

But, do people ever gain weight with Celiac's before going gluten-free?

Yep . . . but it certainly doesn't get the same kind of press. I think the body is starving for the nutrition that it can't absorb and keeps demanding food.

An article here . . .

http://www.celiac.com/articles/1033/1/Celiac-Disease-and-ObesityThere-is-a-Connection-by-Melissa-Croda-q/Page1.html