alexx6520

Reference Ranges

Rate this topic

Why are the reference ranges different for different labs? My son has very infrequent bowel movements (but he's not constipated and does not experience stomach pain; just gets distended and IRRITABLE!). He eats a very healthy diet, lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, and water. I would like to rip the pediatrician's head off for always telling me all kids' gi problems are related to their diet. Anyway, deamidated gliadin igg was 7 and deamidated iga was 2. According to quest labs, this is negative. I found other labs online (pediatric children's hospital in minnesota) that says 7-10 is equivical. His HLADQ2 was positive and nothing else in bloodwork is remarkable for celiac. One family member (deceased) who claims she had celiac sprue. Our lives are already flipped upside down because our other son has severe food allergies/eosinopohilic disease so yes, it is a big deal to pull wheat if it's not the problem. Can someone please help us. How long would we have to be gluten free to notice a difference in bowel habbits and behavior issues?

Why are the reference ranges different for different labs? My son has very infrequent bowel movements (but he's not constipated and does not experience stomach pain; just gets distended and IRRITABLE!). He eats a very healthy diet, lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, and water. I would like to rip the pediatrician's head off for always telling me all kids' gi problems are related to their diet. Anyway, deamidated gliadin igg was 7 and deamidated iga was 2. According to quest labs, this is negative. I found other labs online (pediatric children's hospital in minnesota) that says 7-10 is equivical. His HLADQ2 was positive and nothing else in bloodwork is remarkable for celiac. One family member (deceased) who claims she had celiac sprue. Our lives are already flipped upside down because our other son has severe food allergies/eosinopohilic disease so yes, it is a big deal to pull wheat if it's not the problem. Can someone please help us. How long would we have to be gluten free to notice a difference in bowel habbits and behavior issues?

I think each lab sets their own reference ranges. I had the older celiac panel through Quest and my daughter in Denver had the newer DGP through LabCorp...the reference ranges are different but we were both positive.

Did you pick up a copy of your son's lab results? That should show you the reference ranges your lab used.

I'm sorry your son is having so many problems. Are you going to have any further testing done? If not, you can go gluten-free. I don't know the answer to your last question...I think it varies with the individual but hopefully children heal faster than adults.

My heart goes out to you as a mom, having such awful things happening to your son. I find it really interesting... what you talked about with both of your boys, as I am also DQ2 positve (DQ2.5 specifically) and I also have elevated eosinophil levels that they are still trying to figure out, along with testing for celiac disease. Don't have my results back yet, as I just had my biopsy yesterday, but it makes me wonder if those things are all tied together. (my inquisitive nature again... I should have been a medical research scientist...lol)

Anyway, about your question.... I noticed you referenced a medical lab in Minnesota and wondered if you happen to have access to Mayo Clinic if you life in MN. The reason I ask is that they do have a celiac department headed by Joseph A. Murry (practicing GI and head of the Celiac research there) and I know he has a collegue who is a pediatrician very knowledgable about Celiac. If you can get in to see them, your questions would likely be answered. Otherwise, as Sylvia said, most labs have their own reference ranges, so to compare results from a different lab would be skewed. Good luck with your search for answers. Hope your son feels better soon!

Eosinophils cirrculating in the blood are not always elevated in eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease. Both of my children have normal lab work. My youngest son presented with chest pain, vomiting, and reflux like symptoms. Biopsies of his esophagus and some other areas showed the eosinophils in the tissue. I do not know if there is a link but the report from the villi biopsy looks identical to that of a celiac. I do not know how they make a distinction (or if they do) between the two.