Marie1976

Tired And Irritable

Rate this topic

Had my endo last week and have been gluten free since then. I know it takes a while to get back to normal but how long??

I'm so tired, even when I get enough sleep. And I find myself snapping at everyone and then feeling bad about it.

It's difficult just to go about my normal day. I want to just lie down and do nothing. I hate this feeling. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I should take up coffee-drinking or something ...?

You are likely going through withdrawl. It will pass. Are you taking any vitamins? It is usually a good idea. Do make sure any meds or supplements you are taking are gluten free. Read the whole label on supplements as they can have wheat and barley grass and still have a gluten free label. If you can sleep then do so. If you have to be up and doing coffee might help a bit but you might want to limit it to the morning as you don't want to have it keep you up at night. I found Royal Jelly, from bees, to be a big help with energy. If you are not allergic to bees you may want to give it a try.

Hang in there and hopefully the tiredness and irritable feelings will be over soon.

I have felt the same way, I have been gluten free for 5 weeks and I still feel fatigued, muscle weakness, etc. it has improved a bit from before going gluten free but it has been slow. Two steps forward, one step back, some days are better than others. I have looked into dropping other foods besides gluten just to be on the safe side but I'm not sure that is the problem either. All I can say is I am in the same boat.

It is difficult at first. Gluten withdrawal, accepting what's happened, feeling out of sorts, feeling drained from being ill, depression from malnutrition...lots of reasons why you feel this way. If you need rest, it is because your body is telling you...it needs rest!!

Do not feel bad about resting. You've been ill.

Our bodies are really depleted from malnourishment. That is what this disease is all about!! It affects everything in the body--and the fatigue may also be from anemia. You will need to have your vitamin levels (B-12, folate, D3) tested to check for deficiencies caused by the malabsorption.

I was so sick and exhausted, yet I had insomnia and was "racy" and could NOT sleep very much. Like maybe 2-4 hours a night! For over 3 years!!

Once I went gluten-free, my nervous system started to relax....then, I was dragging myself around for a while...now, I am doing better. Everyone is different and heals at different rates.

This fatigue and irritability will pass. Your hormones will level off and you'll have more energy. Be good to yourself. Let the people you live with know you are having a rough time and you may need extra sleep and/or support.

Take warm baths before bed. Don't take up coffee if you don't already drink it--that will only stimulate you and then, you'll crash...it's just a gut irritant anyway. Drink water. Lots of water. You are--essentially-- detoxing your body from gluten.

You're gonna be okay, Marie. ((HUGS)) It takes time...and patience.

Vent away on here if you are feeling grouchy or frustrated or weepy...(we soooo "get it")and hang in there. It really does get easier! And your energy--and good mood-- will return.