October3

Just To Be Clear....

Rate this topic

We are starting my 2 boys gluten-free tomorrow (as well as everyone when eating at home). Just so I can be clear about the diet - with current labeling laws in the U.S. if it doesn't say "wheat" on the ingredient list and it also doesn't say spelt, barley, oats, or any other gluten containing grain I can feel confident that it does not have gluten in it?

Yes? Or do I need to print out that lengthy list of possible gluten containing ingredients and carry it with me and / or call every manufacturer to ask specifically?

I'm talking specifically about food here. I understand pharmaceuticals, supplements, and personal care products have totally different labeling laws which are more complicated.

Well, since "gluten" and "barley" are not required labelling, you could still get some malt (from barley), for example, in following that rule. This is notoriously true in sweeteners for cereals. Companies will often state "from barley" but they are not required to. So any ingredient derived from barley is a potential hazard. If the ingredient is derived from wheat it must so state, however. I can't think of anything except liquor, offhand, that is derived from rye.

If you have an iPhone--there's a great app that helps when shopping. I used it all the time on my first trips to the store. "is that gluten free" is what it's called.

Shopping takes a lot longer--but you get faster eventually! Good luck.

Well, since "gluten" and "barley" are not required labelling, you could still get some malt (from barley), for example, in following that rule. This is notoriously true in sweeteners for cereals. Companies will often state "from barley" but they are not required to. So any ingredient derived from barley is a potential hazard. If the ingredient is derived from wheat it must so state, however. I can't think of anything except liquor, offhand, that is derived from rye.

Ok. Good point. I knew it must be more complicated that I was thinking.

I was gluten free when nursing my baby with multiple food intolerances but somehow I am not recalling what I ate. I think I must have either just eaten whole foods and avoided anything with more than 1 ingredient. I don't think the boys are going to go for that strategy. :)

If you have an iPhone--there's a great app that helps when shopping. I used it all the time on my first trips to the store. "is that gluten free" is what it's called.

Shopping takes a lot longer--but you get faster eventually! Good luck.

Thanks! Will definitely check it out.

Ok. Good point. I knew it must be more complicated that I was thinking.

I was gluten free when nursing my baby with multiple food intolerances but somehow I am not recalling what I ate. I think I must have either just eaten whole foods and avoided anything with more than 1 ingredient. I don't think the boys are going to go for that strategy. :)

you prepare the food, they eat....seems simple enough.....just don't spring any really odd/new stuff right away.

I've been gluten-free for almost a year and I still carry the list (several pages long) of what I can and can't eat. Mostly, I know now but there are times, I pull it out and make sure. :rolleyes: