This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lab Results

Kat70R

Kat70R Rookie

Can anyone interpret what the test results mean, this is like a foreign language but they are telling me that I don't have it so either I did not eat enough gluten or i really do not have it! hmmmmm

tTG U/mL

Endomysial IgA: Negetive

Endomhysial Ab Titer less than 1:5

IgA, Serum:228 81-463 mg/dl

tTG U/mL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Try typing out the entire thing, you left out the ranges.

Don't despair. Sometimes one is really sick and gets a false neg anyway. Sometimes not. If you feel better eating a certain way, you are allowed to do that.

Kat70R Rookie

Try typing out the entire thing, you left out the ranges.

Don't despair. Sometimes one is really sick and gets a false neg anyway. Sometimes not. If you feel better eating a certain way, you are allowed to do that.

Thanks Takala, I don't think it gave the ranges? so confusing! It is hard to know what my health problems are now, I wish that there was a test for gluten intolerance so that i can know for sure! The only thing that should abnormal in my test was my vitamin D levels, tired of now knowing what has been wrong with me for years!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

False negatives are possible even with celiac. After you are done with all celiac related testing do give the diet a good strict try for a couple of months and see if it helps.

Kat70R Rookie

I need to try the diet but now i hesitate because I do not know what is really causing my problems!

I am confused, I did not think there was a test for gluten intolerance but read that there was? Is that usually apart of a typical celiac panel?

sa1937 Community Regular

I agree with Ravenwoodglass. You really should give the diet a good strict try unless you are going to have an endoscopy/biopsy. It will not interfere with any other tests your Dr. may run to try and narrow down your problems. You might just get your answer going gluten-free.

I'm not aware of any specific tests for gluten intolerance but even if there was, the end result is the same - a gluten-free diet. It's really not that difficult as it might appear to you now so what do you have to lose?

Kat70R Rookie

Thanks Sylvia,

what to do about a husband that thinks the gluten thing is all hype? I just wanted some indication in my blood test that gluten was an issue so that I could get his support! If I could show him a blood test then he would take it all seriously!

Ok so about 3 year ago i went off almost all gluten free, felt much better then got pregnant and my body wanted pasta and whole wheat bread that that is all I could eat! I was very sick during my pregnancy and had little willpower to stop eating wheat! Since then I have tried to get back on the diet, having a hard time. Also fighting exhaustion, I really believe that gluten may be the key- just wanted facts to back up my feelings!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks Sylvia,

what to do about a husband that thinks the gluten thing is all hype? I just wanted some indication in my blood test that gluten was an issue so that I could get his support! If I could show him a blood test then he would take it all seriously!

Ok so about 3 year ago i went off almost all gluten free, felt much better then got pregnant and my body wanted pasta and whole wheat bread that that is all I could eat! I was very sick during my pregnancy and had little willpower to stop eating wheat! Since then I have tried to get back on the diet, having a hard time. Also fighting exhaustion, I really believe that gluten may be the key- just wanted facts to back up my feelings!

Sometimes the relief we get from the diet can make believers out of those who question us. It can be hard when we don't have the support of our family members. One thing you may want to consider is perhaps going with Enterolab testing. While they don't diagnose celiac they can tell us if we are making antibodies to gluten. It isn't uncommon for our symptoms to increase after the stress of childbirth. There are women who have the disease triggered by it.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks Sylvia,

I just don't know what to tell you except that I would think your husband would like to have his wife back and your children would like to have their mother back. You deserve to feel better! It is doubly difficult without family support so I am hoping you can find a way. I'd certainly start cooking a lot of naturally gluten-free meals and take it upon myself (somehow) to protect my health with or without family support. How did you do it three years ago when you went *almost* gluten-free?

There has been a lot of hype lately about going on a gluten-free diet to lose weight, celebrities who go gluten-free as the latest and greatest fad. They certainly don't do us any favors.

Did you pick up the actual lab report? If the lab results you posted are all that you have, it looks like an incomplete celiac panel and I don't understand the lack of reference ranges. People are known to have a negative celiac panel and a positive biopsy (or vice versa).

Kat70R Rookie

I just don't know what to tell you except that I would think your husband would like to have his wife back and your children would like to have their mother back. You deserve to feel better! It is doubly difficult without family support so I am hoping you can find a way. I'd certainly start cooking a lot of naturally gluten-free meals and take it upon myself (somehow) to protect my health with or without family support. How did you do it three years ago when you went *almost* gluten-free?

There has been a lot of hype lately about going on a gluten-free diet to lose weight, celebrities who go gluten-free as the latest and greatest fad. They certainly don't do us any favors.

Did you pick up the actual lab report? If the lab results you posted are all that you have, it looks like an incomplete celiac panel and I don't understand the lack of reference ranges. People are known to have a negative celiac panel and a positive biopsy (or vice versa).

Kat70R Rookie

Sylvia, the report says Quest on it, it does seem incomplete though. I as so sure that I have celiac in my family too but they would not do the dna test! My mother died from colon cancer and always had anxiety + tummy issues and her mother died of Addisons, I understand that these 2 diseases are linked to celiac + all my symptoms that I have had forever!

(A vitamin D deficiency and a dust mite allergy were the only issues that showed up on my blood panel which may also explain some symptoms)

Maybe I have not eaten enough gluten or perhaps i have non celiac intolerance? It seems like the symptoms are the same.

When I did gluten free before my pregnancy I would use gluten free pasta and sometimes cook 2 different meals. It is very doable and I think it is time to start! I think the hardest thing is restaurants as we do get take out a lot.

btw my Hubby told me last night that he will support the diet and that he loves me, answer to prayer =)

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia, the report says Quest on it, it does seem incomplete though. I as so sure that I have celiac in my family too but they would not do the dna test! My mother died from colon cancer and always had anxiety + tummy issues and her mother died of Addisons, I understand that these 2 diseases are linked to celiac + all my symptoms that I have had forever!

(A vitamin D deficiency and a dust mite allergy were the only issues that showed up on my blood panel which may also explain some symptoms)

Maybe I have not eaten enough gluten or perhaps i have non celiac intolerance? It seems like the symptoms are the same.

When I did gluten free before my pregnancy I would use gluten free pasta and sometimes cook 2 different meals. It is very doable and I think it is time to start! I think the hardest thing is restaurants as we do get take out a lot.

btw my Hubby told me last night that he will support the diet and that he loves me, answer to prayer =)

OK, then I know your lab report is not complete. Quest also did mine. You should have a number for the tTG for one thing and complete reference ranges for all the others, too. For example, my tTG was >100 with >8 being positive. I did not have a DNA test so have no clue what my genes are nor are gene tests diagnostic. Whatever they are, my adult daughter also has celiac. Knowing what I know now, I do believe my late mother had it, too, but was undiagnosed. I also had a vitamin D deficiency, which is pretty common. In additon to celiac, my daughter is anemic and hypo-thyroid so a lot of autoimmune diseases come in clusters.

Whether you have celiac or a gluten intolerance, the symptoms can be pretty much the same. So as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't much matter what you call it. A gluten-free diet is a must for both.

I am so happy to hear that your husband will support the diet...does that mean he is willing to eat gluten-free at home? It would make it so much easier. My son-in-law does that for my daughter even to the point of eating gluten-free pizza when they go out. If you're used to eating out a lot and/or getting take-out, that will be more difficult. Be sure to read a lot of the other threads here, too, to eliminate cross-contamination.

Wishing you my best on your way to good health!!! :)

Kat70R Rookie

OK, then I know your lab report is not complete. Quest also did mine. You should have a number for the tTG for one thing and complete reference ranges for all the others, too. For example, my tTG was >100 with >8 being positive. I did not have a DNA test so have no clue what my genes are nor are gene tests diagnostic. Whatever they are, my adult daughter also has celiac. Knowing what I know now, I do believe my late mother had it, too, but was undiagnosed. I also had a vitamin D deficiency, which is pretty common. In additon to celiac, my daughter is anemic and hypo-thyroid so a lot of autoimmune diseases come in clusters.

Whether you have celiac or a gluten intolerance, the symptoms can be pretty much the same. So as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't much matter what you call it. A gluten-free diet is a must for both.

I am so happy to hear that your husband will support the diet...does that mean he is willing to eat gluten-free at home? It would make it so much easier. My son-in-law does that for my daughter even to the point of eating gluten-free pizza when they go out. If you're used to eating out a lot and/or getting take-out, that will be more difficult. Be sure to read a lot of the other threads here, too, to eliminate cross-contamination.

Wishing you my best on your way to good health!!! :)

Kat70R Rookie

Thanks Sylvia,

ok it does say <3 on hte tTg Ab which means negative...

I think that my Hubby will be ok as long as i can get stuff to taste good, I found some really good pastas and there may be times when I have to cook 2 meals. We will see how it goes, i am just trying to figure out what sauces etc are safe at the moment, on my way to feeling better =)

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks Sylvia,

ok it does say <3 on hte tTg Ab which means negative...

I think that my Hubby will be ok as long as i can get stuff to taste good, I found some really good pastas and there may be times when I have to cook 2 meals. We will see how it goes, i am just trying to figure out what sauces etc are safe at the moment, on my way to feeling better =)

A tTG of under 3 would be negative according to my lab report from Quest.

You can make lots of good foods that gluten-free. Just check the recipe forum for some ideas. And a lot of foods I'm eating now are things I've basically eaten all my life...you can keep it simple to begin with. You'll get the hang of it in no time and I bet you're already making a lot of things that are naturally gluten-free! If you have a crockpot, that comes in pretty handy, too. Good luck!

Archived