sherrylynn

Vital Wheat Gluten

Rate this topic

ok, I wanted to know for sure if gluten is a problem for me but don't want to go through more testing because it is always neg and don't know if it is a false neg. So, I have started taking vital wheat gluten about 2 teaspoons every day. I just started today. My thinking is if I really have a problem with it I will have more reactions or my problems will get worse. If they do then I will know.

Am I crazy for trying this? Is my thinking about vital wheat gluten wrong.

Would like feedback.

Thanks sherry.

If this does not show results in a few weeks, Then I will just try gluten free diet for a few months and see how it goes.

A better way to test yourself would be to remove the suspected offending substance and see if you get better. Gluten reaction does not depend on the amount, it is more a cumulative affect of damage over time, of repeatedly prodding your immune system to go on the attack.

• Upvote 2

yep. Gotta take it out, then put it back.

• Upvote 1

I guess your both right, I was just trying to find answers a little easier than going gluten free. besides, that vital wheat gluten is NASTY. I put it in yogurt and it didn't want to mix up and it was like eating a spoonful of flour. yuck.

I guess your both right, I was just trying to find answers a little easier than going gluten free. besides, that vital wheat gluten is NASTY. I put it in yogurt and it didn't want to mix up and it was like eating a spoonful of flour. yuck.

I hate to say this, but putting it in yogurt only compounds your problem if you DO end up having worse symptoms. How do you know you are not reactiong to casein in the yogurt? No, like the pp posters said it is better to eliminate gluten for several months, see if anything changes and then add it back in for one week (or until you have an obvious reaction--most people don't need the whole week to notice the symptoms coming back).

I feel queasy just reading this. :P

Vital wheat gluten is the inner part of the wheat kernel, which they process to put into bread mixes, etc, to make it chewier.