jasonD2

Has Anyone Taken The Al Cat Test For Food Intolerances?

Rate this topic

my doc wants me to take it- its supposed to test intolerances to 300 foods as well as herbs, chemicals, etc. my diet is already so limited and am about 10 lbs underweight, so i hope im not opening a new can of worms by getting this test. not sure how much more food i can eliminate and if i do i may lose even more weight

Yes, I took it. I tested positive for wheat year ago by way of a traditional skin test. Recently I decided to eliminate wheat completely (which my doctors had never advised me to do...go figure) because I had been feeling fatigued for a long time. After doing so, I felt great for a few weeks, then began to feel dramatically worse and hade new GI symptoms. I went to an allergist, only to be told they only do inhaled allergens. My chiropractor recommended the above test, which I paid out of pocket for because I was desperate. Several items showed a positive reaction. As a result, I am left with a very restricted diet. Some of the items which showed a positive reaction do indeed bother me (burning mouth, etc). However, two allergists I have spoken with since then have said that it is not considered a reliable test, that it only shows that your immune system is working on foods you have recently eaten. Many of the foods which turned up positive on my test are foods I eat every week. A few are foods I never eat (ie lobster...yuk).

I understand the name of the test is banned on this website because they spammed it. I would love to know what other people's experiences have been with this. I am going to the GI doc tomorrow to discuss the GI symptoms. Have been gluten free 6 weeks as a result of the test, and do feel much better in the stomach.

Good luck with your process!

actually my doctor said the test was worthless. his practice submitted several split samples and they got different results each time and that the method for testing is ancient. When he confronted (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) they didnt know what to say and just refunded the $

my doc wants me to take it- its supposed to test intolerances to 300 foods as well as herbs, chemicals, etc. my diet is already so limited and am about 10 lbs underweight, so i hope im not opening a new can of worms by getting this test. not sure how much more food i can eliminate and if i do i may lose even more weight

I had the test done twice, about 18 months apart. The first time gluten didn't show up. I reacted to about 25-30 foods. I went on a strict four day rotation diet. I felt somewhat better for a while but that didn't last. Once I found out gluten was an issue through other testing, I had the the more extensive Al Cat test done. This time I reacted to about 70 foods and chemicals. Again, I avoided the severe and moderate ones but did eat some of the mild intolerance foods. I saw no improvement.

I would recommend an elimination diet over this testing.

I would recommend an elimination diet over this testing.

Me too. If you can find an allergist who will help you with one that can be helpful. Not all allergists will so do ask before making an appointment.

Wow, how did you get your money back? I would love to do the same, since it wasn't cheap, and I feel like a sucker for having spent $$ on this and other supplements, which I really can't afford, because I was desperate to feel better.