UpbeatPete

2Nd Day Of Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

I have eaten carrots, strawberries, bananas, oranges, boar's head lunch meat, a couple of gluten free frozen meals, swedish fish, gluten free tortilla chips with salsa (CC?)....today I took another 3 hour nap, did I get glutened or is this expected for a little while?

I also saw my Dr. today and he wants to look into narcolepsy.

On day two you should not expect to see dramatic results yet. In fact, some people feel worse the first week or two as their body goes through "gluten withdrawal". That said, what brand of "frozen gluten-free meals" did you eat? Many people have trouble with Amy's brand--if I remember correctly, they are made on the same lines as their non-gluten-free meals. You will have better results if you don't eat as much processed junk food. Try getting things like fresh meats instead of lunch meats, also eat more cooked veggies than raw (the raw ones can be hard to digest for the first few months while your body heals). All that fruit and the sugary stuff you ate could spike your blood sugar and cause you to crash later (hence the 3 hour nap maybe?). Some people don't have any problem but I know some people here have blood sugar issues as well (hypoglycemia for example). Or some may have fructose malabsortion--somethign to look into if you continue to eat that much fruit and feel aweful.

I had PJ's; however it said that it was made in a factory where wheat was used for other products. I guess that is out now.

What type of meat do you eat and how do you cook it?

My first few weeks were AWFUL! Then, I realized that Pepsi can help me through the worst of it.

You could start with a boneless chicken breast and saute it in a skillet with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

I had PJ's; however it said that it was made in a factory where wheat was used for other products. I guess that is out now.

What type of meat do you eat and how do you cook it?

Chicken, steak, roast, lamb, veal, fresh fish, pork chops (well I can't eat pork because of an allergy but you could). You can saute in a skillet or bake in the oven or grill or use a George Foreman (might need a new one if your old one is all scratched up) or use a slow cooker. If you don't know how to cook this is your opportunity to learn :) Some basic recipe websites are allrecipes.com or food.com (these are not gluten-free sites just mainstream everyday cooking sites). One blog I really like that IS gluten free is http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ Crockpot cookign is pretty easy, but it does require advanced planning. Another tip for your veggies is to get some of those microwavable steamer veggies--just make sure the ingredients list nothing but the veggies. A basic easy meal is to make a meat, some rice or a baked potato and a bag of steamer veggies. Voila! you have a healthy, safe dinner. You can play with different seasonings and methods of cooking the meat but it's really not that hard to do and makes for a fast (under 30 minutes) meal. I always try to make enough to have leftovers for lunches the next day. Once you get good at cooking something and know how much you will eat your could also make enough for several days worth so you only have to cook and clean up a few times a week. You can DO this!

@Zus888...I wish I could have a Pepsi, but I gave up soda 5 years ago. Luckily I can get by with sleeping for now, class ended last week and I have another month until my internship starts.

@Mushroom...Should I get a new skillet to ensure it is gluten free?

@GlutenFreeManna...Thanks for all the useful information and the encouragement :) I am definitely going take advantage of this opportunity and further my culinary skills.

• Upvote 1

@Zus888...I wish I could have a Pepsi, but I gave up soda 5 years ago. Luckily I can get by with sleeping for now, class ended last week and I have another month until my internship starts.

@GlutenFreeManna...Thanks for all the useful information and the encouragement :) I am definitely going take advantage of this opportunity and further my culinary skills.

Only if it is a scratched nonstick or a cast iron (cast iron can be cleaned by running it through the cleaning cycle in the oven and then reseasoning; i.e, rub with oil and then heat on a medium to low temperature until it gets that "glazed" look). If the pan is steel or aluminum just scrub it well.

The easiest way I have found to start a gluten-free diet successfully is to eat veggies, fruit, meats and small fish, and organic brown rice that has been rinsed well before cooking. Once the symptoms have subsided, then add a gluten free food one at a time. There is so much cross contamination in processing these days that finding a truly gluten-free food is a challenge.

I had gone so long with being undiagnosed, that I had damaged organs in addition to a damaged intestine. Without enough cilia in the gut, I couldn't absorb nutrients, so was very deficient. Until my gut could heal well and the cilia regrow, I kept having symptoms. It took me about 3 years to truly get totally better.

I took lots of supplements and I didn't do what I am recommending to you to do. I kept eating things unknowingly that were glutened.

So many processed foods have gluten added to them. Many don't have to label it. Even some wine has hydrolized wheat protein.

I am symptom free again after a year of struggling with trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I never cheat, so it was very frustrating. I finally figured out that this cross contamination has become a serious problem for us sensitive celiacs.

I have a saying that it is better to be pain free than to eat anything in particular, no matter how good it tastes. If I had to just eat one thing and be able to be pain free, I'd do it happily. Fortunately, I actually can eat a lot of foods, so I just count those and not the things I can't eat.

I grilled pork chops yesterday after finding a gluten free bbq, stubb's. Has anyone had any experience with this brand of BBQ or do you all just make your own?

Also, do any of you cook with olive oil? I see that it is listed as Gluten free but was wanting to know if any of you have had any reaction to it?

I grilled pork chops yesterday after finding a gluten free bbq, stubb's. Has anyone had any experience with this brand of BBQ or do you all just make your own?

Also, do any of you cook with olive oil? I see that it is listed as Gluten free but was wanting to know if any of you have had any reaction to it?

I am not familiar with that brand of BBQ sauce. Kraft and Sweet baby Rays are gluten free as well. I make my own just because I can't stand HFCS (nothing to do with gluten). Olive oil is naturally gluten free unless it has somehting added to it or it is tainted during processing. There are some super sensitives on the board that have reported they cannot use Spectrum Naturals Olive oil because that company also manufactureres wheat germ oil on the same lines. However most Oliv eoil is produces by companies that are not making lots of other type so oil in the same facility. I use Bertolli Light olive oil. Did you put foil down on the grill? Did you use charcoal or gas? Just to warn you, some types of instant charcoal briquets have wheat in them.

Thanks Manna!

Wow, I didn't even think about charcoal. Thankfully I use gas and I did remember the foil :)

Glad to hear that Sweet Baby Rays is okay, I usually use that.

Thanks Manna!

Wow, I didn't even think about charcoal. Thankfully I use gas and I did remember the foil :)

Glad to hear that Sweet Baby Rays is okay, I usually use that.

Sounds like your doing good! Sweet baby rays is my husband's favorite bottled sauce too :)