deaja

Can Gluten Hide?

Rate this topic

Good evening!

Thanks for all the help so far, people. I feel today like I'm having a gluten- type reaction. (I don't want to be gross, but I'm bloated and have had bathroom issues along with stomach pain.)

I have thought back to everything I ate today (and because I am suffering from a cold, there wasn't much) and I can't think of anything I ate that would have caused this. Is it possible that the gluten was "hiding" for lack of a better word? Because we had an office lunch today, I didn't actually read labels of my lunch, but ordered something that sounded safe. It was a salad with just lettuce, carrots, chicken breast, swiss cheese, egg, and ranch dressing. Other than that, I've had some rice cakes today. The rice cakes aren't marked gluten-free, but under the allergen information, they don't list wheat. The ingredient list doesn't sound like it has any wheat product.

I know my stomach could just still be adjusting, but it was severe enough that I thought I'd check to see if there could be gluten in these foods.

Could have been the ranch dressing. Dressings are not safe unless you check them.

• Upvote 1

Just looked the ingredients up on Kraft's website - modified food starch might contain gluten. Good to know. Thanks!

Just looked the ingredients up on Kraft's website - modified food starch might contain gluten. Good to know. Thanks!

Kraft does not hide gluten...so modified food starch in Kraft products would be safe. If modified food starch would be made from wheat in any product, it would have to be listed.

ETA: Are you lactose intolerant? Then you might have a problem with their ranch dressing.

Edited by sa1937

Kraft does not hide gluten...so modified food starch in Kraft products would be safe. If modified food starch would be made from wheat in any product, it would have to be listed.

ETA: Are you lactose intolerant? Then you might have a problem with their ranch dressing.

I don't think I am. I might try eliminating it though if I don't get completely better. Maybe it was just random, or maybe my stomach is upset by my cold. That happens sometimes. Or maybe even just taking cold medicine on a semi-empty stomach. I guess I'd just been feeling so good the past little while of being gluten-free that I wanted to pin it on gluten somehow. :)

If you are saying that you just ordered a salad from a restaurant without asking about cc concerns, then yes the salad could have been cross-contaminated in several ways when it was made. They could have put croutons on it and then picked them off when they saw the order said no croutons, they could have mixed it in the same bowl that they mix all their salads in, they could have chopped the veggies for the salad on the same surface they cut bread on, they could have made the salad from a buffet or prep-station where the same tongs were used to grab the veggies as the ones that grab the croutons...The chicken breast could have been grilled on the same grills they use for bread and buns or marinated with a gluten-containing marinade...and on and on...

• Upvote 2