coryjmclaughlin

Could I Have Celiac's

Rate this topic

I am a 35 year old mother of 2 children who has Lupus and has never really had any stomach problems aside from constipation until about 8 weeks ago. Beginning about 8 weeks, I basically woke up and started having diahrea and severe bloating on a daily basis. Each morning I have about 2-3 bouts of diahrea and as soon as I put anything in my mouth I get bloated and full and I spend the rest of the day like that. I had stool studies done and everything turned up fine. They tried Nexium and Librax and so far neither have really helped. I just saw a GI doctor last week and he called today and said that my IgA blood test was low but wants to do another blood test before confirm celiac's. Do my symptom's sound like they could be Celiac's? I usually only have the diahrea in the morning but every so often it does happen in the afternoon or evening. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Yes, it's entirely possible you may have celiac. Did your dr. run the complete celiac panel of blood tests? The big D was my main symptom.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, it's entirely possible you may have celiac. Did your dr. run the complete celiac panel of blood tests? The big D was my main symptom.

to be honest, I have no idea what he ran...He just said that my IgA came back low and wanted to run some more to confirm Celiac's and was going to send the prescription out to me ASAP.

Hi!

You sound a lot like me!!!! I have had chronic diarrhea for at least 9 months now and as soon as I eat something it is not 10 or 15 min and I am running to the bathroom!! And I bloat so bad that I look 6 or 7 months PG!! :o

I had a Celiac panel drawn up on the 11th and am trying to wait patiently waiting for the results. I have read tho to keep eating as usual because if they have to do a biopsy you could get a false negative!

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!

HAve a great evening!!!

Lisa

:D

Hi!

You sound a lot like me!!!! I have had chronic diarrhea for at least 9 months now and as soon as I eat something it is not 10 or 15 min and I am running to the bathroom!! And I bloat so bad that I look 6 or 7 months PG!! :o

I had a Celiac panel drawn up on the 11th and am trying to wait patiently waiting for the results. I have read tho to keep eating as usual because if they have to do a biopsy you could get a false negative!

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!

HAve a great evening!!!

Lisa

:D

Lisa,

I hope you get your results soon and that you get some relief.

They gave me an anti-spasmadic medicine to see if that helps my stomach and it is doing absolutely nothing for me. I've also started getting cramping in my stomach every so often which I didn't have before. I'm going to try and go tomorrow and get the bloodwork that my doctor wants done tomorrow.

Any other thoughts as to what this could be besides Celiac's?

Well, if not celiac it could be non-celiac gluten intolerance :D but of course our orientation is to think in terms of gluten first, other things later.

Well, if not celiac it could be non-celiac gluten intolerance :D but of course our orientation is to think in terms of gluten first, other things later.

Well, my bloodwork came back negative so I guess it isn't Celiacs but the medication for the IBS is not working so now I have to have colonscopy. For now, the gi doctor just wants me to take Imodium every 4-6hrs to stop the diahrea until I go for the colonscopy next week.

Well, my bloodwork came back negative so I guess it isn't Celiacs but the medication for the IBS is not working so now I have to have colonscopy. For now, the gi doctor just wants me to take Imodium every 4-6hrs to stop the diahrea until I go for the colonscopy next week.

As long as you are having a colonoscopy anyway, you could ask them to do an endoscopy with biopies to test for villi damage. A colonoscopy will not test for celiac, so you would need the endoscopy with multiple biopies. A coloscopy will not test for celaic. Many people do have both of these procedures scheduled at the same time for convienence and to be thorough however.

I agree with GlutenFreeManna - if you are having a colonoscopy, get the endo at the same time. Most of the cost of the procedure is in the facilities, nurses, etc., and very little of it the extra time for the doctor. And a colonoscopy will tell you if you have Crohn's disease, maybe, but it will tell you nothing about celiac disease. The blood tests can be wrong, heck even the endoscopy biopsy can be false negatives, but at least you will have tried your best to get a diagnosis. In the end, we often just have to stop eating gluten without a diagnosis and hope that it works (and 90% of the time I would estimate that it does, although you may discover another intolerance or two along the way.