collgwg

Soy Allergy's

Rate this topic

i have never had to worry about allergy's until now

and i have developed a soy allergy

i get a raised rash in my thoat and i cough so hard i cant breath and from the back of my ears and down my neck is swelling

i just made a stir fry with lots of vegies and vermicelli and added this new gluten free chicken soup mix bouillon to it and i ate it and all of a sudden i am coughing so hard i cant breath and this raised rash in my throat appears and now my gums and all in my mouth feels tingly and my tongue

omg this is awful

how can i get this out of my system?

Take some Benedryl ASAP!!--the brand name is gluten-free. You don't want to mess around with a food allergy like that. If the benedryl does not relieve your symptoms within 20-30 minutes then get yourself to an ER right away!

i dont have any of that but i do have an antihistamine i just took

the rash in the back of my throat is still there my neck still feels swollen but my coughing has setteled down from my puffers im drinking water good god this is horrible my goodness i have quite the killer headake now good grief

is there any other words for soy that i have to watch for ?

i dont have any of that but i do have an antihistamine i just took

the rash in the back of my throat is still there my neck still feels swollen but my coughing has setteled down from my puffers im drinking water good god this is horrible my goodness i have quite the killer headake now good grief

is there any other words for soy that i have to watch for ?

Are you in the US? They have to declare soy as an allergen on food, however I have found some things like tuna packets that say "vegetable oil" or "vegetable broth" but do not declare soy. My soy reaction is more like migraines, fatigue and achiness, not an actual allergy, but I had a reaction to some tuna (this was over a year ago so I forget the brand). When I checked the package it didn't have soy listed but just said vegetable broth. I checked the company website and it said the vegetable broth was made with soybean oil. You also need to be leary of beauty products--especially lip balm or lipstick and lotions you put on your hands and could get near your mouth. In cosmetics they don't have to disclose it as soy but most of the time if it says tocopherols or vitamin E it is made with soy.

no im in a small town in nova scotia

ok thanks sooo much for this info

i feel like im calming down some rash is still raised but not as bad and my coughing has calmed

omg that was nasty

no im in a small town in nova scotia

ok thanks sooo much for this info

i feel like im calming down some rash is still raised but not as bad and my coughing has calmed

omg that was nasty

I have a similar reaction to milk. Do follow up with your dr and explain what happened. You may want to see if you can get allergy testing done or at least get an epipen in case your reaction gets worse.

I saw you asked in another thread about how will you season food without this type of thing. You should really think about having a small herb garden and learn to use fresh herbs for flavor. They would be the safest since you would grow them yourself and they are so much more flavorable than dried mixes. If you can't do that then you will want to stick with single ingredient dried herbs and spices from companies you can trust and mix up your own poultry seasonings, taco seasonings, etc. I'm sorry I can't reccomend any in your area but hopefully someone else can give you some brands that are gluten-free and soy free as well.

Here's a poultry seasoning that you could easily make: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Poultry-Seasoning-2/Detail.aspx

i was telling my best friend about this i would love to have a herb garden ill just have to be more careful and make sure i read ingredients

i was telling my best friend about this i would love to have a herb garden ill just have to be more careful and make sure i read ingredients

It's really easy! You can keep the herbs in little pots on your windowsill year round. I live in an apartment but I keep a small container garden on the patio in the summer and an herb garden in little pots I move inside to the windowsill when it gets cold. My most used herbs are chives, rosemary, cilantro, and dill.

I hope you are feeling better now!

i have never had to worry about allergy's until now

and i have developed a soy allergy

i get a raised rash in my thoat and i cough so hard i cant breath and from the back of my ears and down my neck is swelling

i just made a stir fry with lots of vegies and vermicelli and added this new gluten free chicken soup mix bouillon to it and i ate it and all of a sudden i am coughing so hard i cant breath and this raised rash in my throat appears and now my gums and all in my mouth feels tingly and my tongue

omg this is awful

how can i get this out of my system?

isnt VERMICELLI a type of pasta that they usually mix with rice??????? please be careful and triple check that-

i have 2 types of vermicelli on that is bean thread starch noodles made from green beans and peas the ingredients list says green beans peas and water

the second on is spinach rice ingredients state rice spinach juice and water

so according to this i should be safe

i still have lumps on my throat but im feeling a bit better thanks

Also watch out for soy lecithin. It is used as an emulsifier in everything from chocolate, to tea, to dairy alternative nut milks. Soy lecithin made me sick for quite a while because while I was looking for soy/soya I was overlooking the soy lecithin. :huh:

It's important to get an epipen like gfmanna suggested.

You never know when you'll unintentionally eat something with soy in it, and you should be prepared. Your reaction now can suddenly intensify into a life-threatening anaphylaxis episode.

Like you, my allergy only developed recently. My doctor gave me an epipen and an albuterol inhaler, even though so far I've only had the tightening of airways and eczema reactions to nuts. She warned that with allergic reactions, things can escalate quickly.

• Upvote 1

oh wow thanks i never thought of that ill have to talk to the dr about the pen

and i have been looking for anything that has the word soy in it

i found my cereal has on it may contain soy so i did not eat it cause i may have an allergic reaction lol

thanks so much for all of your imput

I have found that I have to be as careful about soy CC as I do gluten CC. I don't eat anything that is produced on shared equipment that has either.