Sparks

Officially Unofficial

Rate this topic

I spoke with my doctor today, and based on my reaction to adding wheat back in to a gluten free diet, I've been diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance. He doesn't think it's celiac (even though I've never been tested for celiac...) and says the only thing I can do is minimize gluten.

On one hand, it's nice to have a doctor agreeing that this is a serious problem. On the other, I'm concerned that he would dismiss celiac without testing at all.

Maybe he is one of the few doctors that know that you would have to return to a full gluten diet for quite awhile to get useful test results. If you are already reacting it may not be worth it to go through misery for a test that is often inconclusive.

• Upvote 1

I spoke with my doctor today, and based on my reaction to adding wheat back in to a gluten free diet, I've been diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance. He doesn't think it's celiac (even though I've never been tested for celiac...) and says the only thing I can do is minimize gluten.

On one hand, it's nice to have a doctor agreeing that this is a serious problem. On the other, I'm concerned that he would dismiss celiac without testing at all.

I am more concerned that he suggested that you just "minimize gluten" :ph34r:

Gluten intolerance or celiac's the treatment is the same a100% gluten free diet!!

I agree that it's probably not worth it when the treatment is the same. And at least he didn't try to tell me it was all in my head. :)

Edit: He's not the most enlightened doctor, no. Luckily I found this board so I know exactly what "minimize" means.