kaygato

Possible Gluten Intolerance? Also, Is Enterolabs A Good Idea?

Rate this topic

I'm an 18 year old female who just finished her first year of college. Needlesss to say, things didn't go so well academically because of many reasons. Part of my issues in academics/life are caused by a lack of motivation, and ADD/mild depression that may be behind it. I'm going to take classes at my local community college for a semester of two to bring my GPA up, and am now really interested in dietetics and how food can affect behavior.

Here are my possible symptoms of gluten intolerance:

1. overweight as a kid...craved sugar and carbs

2. slow and sluggish, teachers wanted me tested for ADD

3. moody as a child

4. worn out by lower levels of stress than most people

5. need 9-12 hours of sleep

6. have no motivation to do anything

7. foggy brain...take forever to do things when I get started

8. slight cold and heat intolerance

9. irritable moods since 13-14

10. no sex drive/lack of sensitivity down there (since early teens)

I've been pretty burned out these last few years. I recently gave up coffee and now I feel even more exhausted, but I think coffee has been making me worse so it's probably good I gave it up.

I'm also getting testing done for my thyroid, because some of my symptoms overlap with thyroid issues and I want to know if there is anything autoimmune going on there.

So...should I try a gluten free diet? I saw some mentions of Enterolabs on this forum and wondered if that was a reputable place for testing. I'd almost prefer that method than having to "gluten up" for the blood test done by a doctor. Also, does enterolabs test for other food allergies? I suspect I could have other food intolerances going on and it may not be gluten.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I would say you more than likely have a thyroid problem and should get your levels checked ASAP. Don't know about the gluten intolerance issue,but it sounds like thyroid problems to me....I've been on thyroid meds for 3 years now and zoomed from a size 10 to a 20-22. I had problems in school,too,and at 37,still struggling to finish college. I think you will start to feel better once you're on thyroid meds and while I can't say for sure you have thyoid problems,you have a lot of hypo symptoms going on.

Try the gluten-free diet and see if you feel better;I started the diet a month ago,although my GI is useless and can't diagnose me. I have not seen a huge difference,except some of the bloating is gone.

I'm an 18 year old female who just finished her first year of college. Needlesss to say, things didn't go so well academically because of many reasons. Part of my issues in academics/life are caused by a lack of motivation, and ADD/mild depression that may be behind it. I'm going to take classes at my local community college for a semester of two to bring my GPA up, and am now really interested in dietetics and how food can affect behavior.

3. moody as a child

I've been pretty burned out these last few years. I recently gave up coffee and now I feel even more exhausted, but I think coffee has been making me worse so it's probably good I gave it up.

I'm also getting testing done for my thyroid, because some of my symptoms overlap with thyroid issues and I want to know if there is anything autoimmune going on there.

So...should I try a gluten free diet? I saw some mentions of Enterolabs on this forum and wondered if that was a reputable place for testing. I'd almost prefer that method than having to "gluten up" for the blood test done by a doctor. Also, does enterolabs test for other food allergies? I suspect I could have other food intolerances going on and it may not be gluten.

3. moody as a child

Enterolabs is somewhat controversial on this board. Be aware that they do NOT diagnose celaic disease. Their tests only identify whether you have a "gluten sensitivity". I think they also have gene tests, which will only tell you your risk of developing celiac, not whether you actually have it. Enterolab also is usually not covered by most insurance plans and it's expensive. So if you have insurance it would be better to go through a doctor for the testing. You will need to do that testing before goign on a gluten-free diet. If you don't have insurance and don't care about having a doctor diagnosis then you can use Enterolab. They are an option for people that need a test but don't have any insurance or people that go gluten free and then decide they want some form of testing to stick with the diet or to convince their family.

Many people without insurance and without a need for a positive celaic test however have just "tested" themselves by eliminating gluten. If you strictly cut out gluten for a few months and then try to add it back in and have a clear reaction then you have a problem with gluten. You don't need a dr to tell you to avoid something if it makes you sick. Only you can know however if you would stick to it without a dr diagnosis. The good news is also that you can be tested for other thigns (like your thyroid) while gluten free. The only tests going gluten-free will affect is the celiac tests--which could show up as false negative if you are gluten-free at the time of testing. I had most of those symtpoms you listed prior to going gluten free. If I had known what I know now I would have opted to ask my dr for a blood test prior to trying the diet, but I am still very strict because my reactions are severe.

If you find gluten is not your problem, and your thyroid is ok, you could be Insulin Resistant. All of your symptoms sound like a lot of mine (but I've also got others too) and I am severely Insulin Resistant.

a simple blood sugar test, even a fasting one or even a glucose tolerance test is not nec enough to find it. You will need to make sure you have a 'fasting insulin level blood test'.

For years the dr's always tested my blood sugar, but not the insulin levels.

All the best.