bridgetm

Awesome Meal In White Bear Lake, Mn!

Rate this topic

I revisited a family favorite fish and chips pub tonight for the first time since going gluten-free a year ago. The battered fish always topped my list of favorites off their menu, but there are plenty of other options. I was about to order off of the regular menu after having called the manager and told there were plenty of safe options. When I prefaced my order to the waitress with "I'm gluten free so..." she said "Wait, I have a specific gluten-free menu for you!" Awesome :)

There were plenty of options (most higher up in their price range) but the parmesan encrusted walleye caught my eye. It comes with a side of chef's-choice veggies (carrots tonight, lightly buttered and seasoned) and choice of baked potato, mashed potatoes, salad, etc. I went with the mash. No regrets! This was the best meal I've eaten out in a long time. And to top it off, as I was about to order a whiskey ginger our waitress stopped me to ask if I was a beer drinker; they'd just received a shipment of Redbridge beer. While I don't normally order a drink I can find later in my own fridge this was the first time I've been to a bar with Redbridge on the menu so I gave in.

Next time, we're going for drinks and dessert. There was a chocolate cake on the gluten-free menu which sounded amazing, but between the beer and mashed potatoes I was too full to give it a go.

If you're on the east side of St. Paul and looking for an alternative to Noodles & Co. (my standby), Manitou Station is the place!

Other good experience: The Freighthouse in Stillwater. You won't have to explain the gluten free concept to any of their staff.

Good to know. I had a really good meal last night at M & S grill in Mpls and there's a place called Biagoos (chain?) in Eden Prairie that had a very extensive gluten-free menu. The food wasn't that great though. But the meal at M & S was outstanding.

eta: I just realized that my husband and I ate at Manitou Station in Feb. after a friend's book signing. It was a really nice restaurant. I had a steak then so I made a safe choice. I'm going to remember that next time we need to eat out.

Glad to know the Freighthouse is safe - my husband & I love eating there when we go to Stillwater but I haven't tried it since being diagnosed.