Kim69

Gastrointesinal Function Profile Stool Test Any Use?

Rate this topic

Hi all. I have just deposited my stool sample in three small vials. They are sitting in the fridge waiting for a courier to pick them up and wisk them all the way to USA from Australia.

If you want to learn more just google (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) gastrointestinal function profile.

My naturopath has recommended this test as a means of determining the reason why I still have abdominal pain and gas despite a really limited diet and seemingly regardless of what I eat.

Has anyone had this test completed? Have the results been useful in helping you treat yourself?

Now that I have taken the sample for this test, I can start on the probiotics that the naturopath has prescribed me. Here's hoping they will do some good.

Hi Kim

I am suppose to do one of these tomorrow for the same reason...been gluten-free but still suffering from major bloat, gas pains, muscle aches etc ...did you get your results back yet? Was it any help? Deciding if I should do it or not....expensive and not covered ....

I haven't got the results back yet. But I will be sure to let everyone know. I visited a new GI doc last week. He suggested I may have IBS and fibromyalgia - in other words he doesn't know.

I haven't been able to start the probiotics yet because I am having two breath tests for sibo. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

Am really tired! Every day now. I would say that fatigue is now my worst symptom. Coeliacs is fine - I am happy that I have the diet ok. There is something else going on. It's not iron, zinc, vid d, thyroid, lupus, menopause. Ah well!

Oh my gosh...no results yet.

I decided to do the test, I too need to know what is going on, some days even water can cause pain and bloating......so excited to hear your results, yes, please make sure you share......

Have an awesome day..

Ok I got my results today.

I visited my naturopath today and learned that my test results are positive for yeast overgrowth and more alarming a parasite called blastocystis hominis. This parasite is apparently very common but when u are immunosuppressed or have some gut issue like I did (do?) with Coeliac disease, it can cause all sorts of problems including gas, D, Abd pain etc. Will it never end!

My naturopath suggested I visit my dr and ask her to write me a prescription for a particular drug called Nitazoxanide. Apparently the parasite is very hard to clear but I will be happy to just get rid of the symptoms if I can.

Some good news - my test showed I have very good enzyme levels and have no inflammation. It did show abnormal IgA level though. I need to investigate that cos my recent blood tests have been normal.

And expected news - my levels of good bacteria are very low.

No mucus and no fat in stool.

So overall pretty good digestion but have yeast and parasites taking over! I need to get rid of the parasites first then get onto the probiotic program my naturopath has in mind for me.

Oh and she has given me the diet sheet for the anti-candida (not that that's the fungus I have but) diet which will further reduce my diet (gluten-free, FODMAP, low lactose, casein). No fruit for 4 wks. Not that I can eat much fruit ATM anyway cos of the FODMAP diet. The problem is that the FODMAP diet severely limits the veggies I can eat too. Sigh!

I have a repeat gastroscopy this week - it's about 15 months since dx.

Well it is sort of good news...at least now you can get to the bottom final stages and heal the rest of the garbage in your stomach and then hopefully feel even better.....I am cheering for you.....