This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Should Labs Look Like Post-gluten-free

jeslk

jeslk Apprentice

Hi folks,

I've been gluten-free since mid-February, after blood work and endoscopy confirmed Celiac. I never had symptoms (the diagnosis came accidentally), so it's been impossible to tell whether or not the gluten-free diet is working. Just had labs done, and here are the results:

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 7 (previous 15)

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 12 (previous 33)

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA <2 (previous 16)

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG 4 (previous 12)

U/mLEndomysial Antibody IgA Negative (previous Positive)

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 226 (previous 216)

Doctor said he's happy that my levels are in the normal range, but I thought I read somewhere that a gluten-free diet should result in levels at zero . . . is that correct?

Because I don't get sick when I eat gluten, I live in constant fear that I'm actually getting glutened through CC and don't know it.

Thanks for any insight!

Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Hi folks,

I've been gluten-free since mid-February, after blood work and endoscopy confirmed Celiac. I never had symptoms (the diagnosis came accidentally), so it's been impossible to tell whether or not the gluten-free diet is working. Just had labs done, and here are the results:

Doctor said he's happy that my levels are in the normal range, but I thought I read somewhere that a gluten-free diet should result in levels at zero . . . is that correct?

Because I don't get sick when I eat gluten, I live in constant fear that I'm actually getting glutened through CC and don't know it.

Thanks for any insight!

Jess

You have done a good job so far of bringing your levels down so congratulate yourself! You have not been gluten-free very long so your results are pretty good.

All of these tests give a range and, although it is possible to bring them lower, they are not expected to be zero.

You were tested using the newer Deamidated Gliadin testing and I am not totally familiar with that one. I assume it was a replacement for the older AGA/IgA and AGA/ IgG tests, which I had done 6 years ago. I still use this method of re-test to test for compliance to the gluten-free diet. The normal range for mine is anything under 4.99 and my last test this spring showed 1.2. I thought that was spectacular and it shows I am complying to the diet very well. That is the test they like to be as low as possible, however, if it's in the normal range, it means you are adhering to the diet very well.

I don't see the numbers for what is considered normal range in your testing...am I correct in that?

Your doctor is smart to do a full panel again because many just use the Ttg retest and that is incorrect to do because there are other conditions which can elevate your Ttg besides Celiac. You need to do a full panel for re-test to check for compliance. So I give your doctor high marks for that! I would not worry too much about these numbers because you are fairly new to the diet and they will most likely fall even more if you continue to be careful and don't cheat. It can take up to a year for numbers to reach their desired low range. The fact the your EMA is now negative is great also!

Good job!

jeslk Apprentice

Gemini - thank you SO much for such a detailed and thoughtful reply! I do feel happy with the results and will now just aim to keep plugging away.

Thanks again!

Jess

Takala Enthusiast

Congratulations and keep plugging! Hopefully you will avoid damage, unlike some of the rest of us who had to figure it out the backwards way of there was so much.... :blink:

You might become more sensitive as time passes, and be able to notice something when and if you get cross contaminated.

Gemini Experienced

Gemini - thank you SO much for such a detailed and thoughtful reply! I do feel happy with the results and will now just aim to keep plugging away.

Thanks again!

Jess

Your very welcome!

It must be hugely difficult to do this diet if you are asymptomatic. I was a classic Celiac with all the symptoms listed in the literature so it was a no brainer for me. I knew when I made a mistake but fortunately, those were rare moments. I did not have any repeat blood work done until my first year anniversary because my numbers were very high and I seemed to be doing well on the diet. I still had some issues but for the most part, my response to the diet was nothing short of a miracle.

Keep plugging away and enjoy good health!

zimmer Rookie

Hi folks,

Thanks for any insight!

Jess

Hi - I'm like you - somewhat accidental diagnosis based on blood results. Hard to tell if I've been "glutened" since I don't have immediate / strong symptoms. I came across a good article from Univ of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, I think, don't have it handy. It said that having a ttg in the normal range was the goal. That number did not have to be zero. However, the IgA and IgG needed to be zero. I assume that since those numbers reflect the activity of your immune system, if they are elevated at all, then you have gluten in your system.

I too started gluten free in mid-Feb. I have an appt soon with a doc at a "Digestive Disease Center" at a research university medical center. I hope to find out how to deal with this going forward, how to tell if my diet is good, etc. I expect follow-up blood work to evaluate. My goal is to learn a bit about what to do / expect in the long term.

It sounds like you are doing a good job, with your numbers dropping like that. Good job!

Gemini Experienced

Hi - I'm like you - somewhat accidental diagnosis based on blood results. Hard to tell if I've been "glutened" since I don't have immediate / strong symptoms. I came across a good article from Univ of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, I think, don't have it handy. It said that having a ttg in the normal range was the goal. That number did not have to be zero. However, the IgA and IgG needed to be zero. I assume that since those numbers reflect the activity of your immune system, if they are elevated at all, then you have gluten in your system.

I too started gluten free in mid-Feb. I have an appt soon with a doc at a "Digestive Disease Center" at a research university medical center. I hope to find out how to deal with this going forward, how to tell if my diet is good, etc. I expect follow-up blood work to evaluate. My goal is to learn a bit about what to do / expect in the long term.

It sounds like you are doing a good job, with your numbers dropping like that. Good job!

You are correct in stating that the IgA and IgG need to be as low as possible but zero is not necessary to achieve good results. I doubt you'd see anyone with a zero. That is why they give a range of normal, with lower numbers in that range being the goal. The autoimmune activity in this range would be so low that damage would not occur. I've come close to zero but don't worry about a 1 or 2....most doctors are thrilled when people can achieve low normal. I'd hate to see people think if their numbers are not zero, they are doing something wrong with the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived