kim_11

I was diagnosed with Celiac

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac and I have Heart Problems and I have other issues H pyloria that can not get rid of at all! I have a lot of questions but First is how do you deal with the swelling of the stomach all the time and diarrhea all the time and the joint pain and now they are checking me for lupus.

Also the doc. said that at times you have to be checked to see the damage of the sm. intestine.

They told me I have to eat Gluten Free (Expensive) and no species of Wheat no barley

Does anyone know or have a list of the foods I can eat or not eat. I am supposed to go to a nutritionist but the appointment has not been made.

They told me if left untreated it can cause all kinds of problems and that some of my health problems maybe related to this Celiac.

Help I have NO Clue about this disease

This should help you get started.

Unsafe ingredients: http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Hope this helps.

Peter has given you a great start. As for keeping gluten free not as expensive, try to stick with shopping on the "outskirts" of the store. In essence this means - meat, fruit, veg, dairy and rice. All of which are not so expensive (like gluten-free breads etc). For the first month or so it's actually better to avoid the replacement foods because your stomach can be fooled into a reaction and your taste buds will reject the change in texture and flavor (in a few months they will "forget" the taste of gluten).

Hi Kim, I too am new to this, diagnosed in May and still have a lot to learn....I know that if you go to walmart or publix online they offer a shopping list of all the gluten free items in their store. Also, Publix has a gluten-free on the shelf label where the price is and that is helpful. I know that eating out is hard, I know I can have a couple of things at Wendy's (chili, uncut baked potatoe,frosty) just get a smartphone and google anything you have a question about before you eat/buy it... Hope this helps.

Those lists Peter linked are great. You absolutely have to stick to the diet strictly and you may get a lot healthier over the next few months. Avoid everything made from wheat, rye, or barley, plus some celiacs react to oats so avoid those too at first.

Gluten-free is only expensive if you buy a lot of the overpriced specialty foods. Rice and potatoes are cheap, and you'll be pretty much eating the same meat and vegetables as before. Have store brand ice cream for dessert (check for wheat ingredients like crushed cookies) instead of overpriced gluten-free cookies. You do have to cook a little more, but there are also popular brands like Progresso making gluten-free soups that aren't overpriced.

The only meal that's tricky is breakfast, but you can make hash browns or have gluten-free Rice Chex if you want "normal" foods. I do tend to keep a loaf of gluten-free bread around for breakfast if I've been too lazy to do any gluten-free baking.