This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lanap \ Laser Periodontal Surgery

Austin GF Family

Austin GF Family Newbie

Has anyone had periodontal surgery? Periodontist claims it will help to restore bone and slow progression of periodontitis, but that some teeth may not be able to be saved. I think the periodontitis and resulting bone loss is related to celiac disease; not quite 2 years from diagnosis and being totally gluten-free, so wonder if the procedure should wait. If you have had this procedure, what do you think of the results? How long was the recovery period? Also, what liquid diet did you follow? Very sensitive to gluten contamination and have additional food allergies (egg, lactose, corn, nuts, peanuts), so prepare most meals without prepackaged ingredients. Thanks for any information or advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Leli Newbie

I developed peridontic problems while I was pregnant or soon after (40 yrs old and still eating wheat,) and when I finally got to the peridontist (3 yrs later?) I had to have crown lengthening on two molars. At about the same time I stopped eating wheat, and any sugar during the day. I was scrupulously careful of my dental hygene, using a disclosing mouthwash and dental mirror every night. The peridontic problem went into remission, but damage had been done. I'm supposed to have a procedure every 4 to 6 months where the areas affected are mechanically cleaned. This should happen as long as I still have teeth.

I had been so ill for years, and I recovered when I had the surgery. I couldn't tell if it was the absence of wheat alone, or having the peridontitis fixed, but I know that anaerobic bacteria breed in those gum pockets, and they produce very nasty toxins. Peridontic disease is associated with heart problems and pancreatic problems and who knows what. I try to reduce any source of inflamation because I feel I've taken such a beating from the wrong diet that I can't afford any extra stressors.

Sorry - I ramble. To answer your questions, I think the surgery was absolutely necessary (for me), recovery took less than 2 weeks for the crown lengthening (which took nearly 2 hours while they cut away gum and sawed away bone around two upper back teeth. I feel very brave just thinking about it) and that's complete recovery, I think, stitches out, normal diet. I ate (drank) vegetable soups, and chewed soft things on the other side of my mouth. I can't eat it unless I make it, either, but if you're ok with salicylates any vegetable soup or meat based broth will get you through.

The regular peridontal procedure, when whatever might be below the gum line is scraped away, is always followed by significant feelings of improved health and energy for me. It might take only an afternoon to recover, or as much as 3 days. (I think the girl who did it that time was over-enthusiastic, and hurt me. The next time, I took panadol (Tylenol?) and refused the anaesthetic so I could keep tabs on her. Much quicker recovery, but also lots of endorphins!)

More teeth are lost to peridontal disease than to caries, and if you catch it in time, you can usually stop it. The inflamation is also hard on the rest of your body. I wouldn't put off having it done - it could speed your recovery from gluten. I've also recently read that CoQ2 enzyme, applied to the gums, increases oxygen supply to the cells and reduces symptoms of peroidontitis.

I really believe it helped me a lot. Must call to make an appointment!

Good luck.

Leli Newbie

Oops. Correction - CoQ10 enzyme applied to the gums. Don't think humans use CoQ2.

Austin GF Family Newbie

Leli - Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience. Your reply was exactly what I needed.

Archived