LisetteB

What To Eat After A Gluten Reaction?

Rate this topic

I'm sort of new to this, but I've been trying to be gluten free for about 9 months now. I feel better, except on the few occasions that I've unknowingly been "glutened". It seems that my reactions are getting worse the longer I stay away from it. Anyway, I had a reaction last night (not even sure what from) and today my stomach is still gurgling and queasy. I've been afraid to eat just about everything, but went to Trader Joe's and bought gluten free rice bread, gluten-free beef broth, and applesauce. I'm sipping the broth, but the taste is not very desirable & making me nauseous. I actually was able to get a piece of bread down Ok and now I'm slowly eating the applesauce. I want to know are there other foods that you eat after a reaction that help you feel better? And also, should I try and stick with a very bland diet for a few days?

Thank you for any help you can give :)

I've only been at this a few more months than you. My (self-inflicted) rules after a poisining are... lots of water, homemade chicken soup, a hot soak in the tup with epsom salts and baking soda, and a good night's sleep. Exercise if you can. You want to get it out of your system.

I've only been at this a few more months than you. My (self-inflicted) rules after a poisining are... lots of water, homemade chicken soup, a hot soak in the tup with epsom salts and baking soda, and a good night's sleep. Exercise if you can. You want to get it out of your system.

Thank you, Marilyn - the chicken soup sounds good! I'll have to make some tomorrow when I'm not feeling so blah. I never thought of a bath or exercise to get rid of it. Great ideas :)

I'm only 3 months in but thanks to my 2 year old daughter I've been glutened a few times. I find that in the week right after a glutening (even a really mild one) I have a hard time digesting protein. Any meal with much protein in it makes me feel sleepy and nauseated and sluggish for a few hours.

SO I stick to light things like berries, yogurt, tabouleh salad made with quinoa and lots of tea. Even though it hurts a lot I try to get to the gym anyway and do some light cardio and core work. I also spend a lot of time on the couch with a heating pad and sleep whenever possible.

Honestly, I don't have much energy after a reaction. All I wanted to do was sleep. I have noticed the reaction calms with the more sleep you have. Try that instead!

I reach for Cream of Buckwheat cereal and put lots of cinnamon in it. I find it soothes my tummy and since my blood sugar can be a bit unstable after a glutening the cinnamon helps level it out. The only brand I buy is Pocono because I know it is a dedicated farm and equipment facility so there is no chance of it being CC'd. There may be others that are dedicated also but Pocono is a local company (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever) so I try to support the local economy and have never checked other brands.

Drink lots of water and try and flush it out. Eat bland food like rice or rice crackers. Go to the bathroom. Sleep. Take over the counter pain killers (we call it panadol where I live). I've also heard that drinking ginger ale, coke or lemonade can help, but it doesn't do much for me.

You'll definitely find the longer you're off gluten, the more sensitive you become. At first it would take me the afternoon to recover. I was diagnosed 4 years ago, now it can take me up to 5 days to recover.

Thank you so much to everyone who shared their suggestions! This forum has helped in so many ways.

Thanks again,

Lisette :D