This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Small Towns Of North Carolina

Harpgirl

Harpgirl Explorer

Last week, I went to visit my parents in Murphy, NC. First we stopped in Smyrna, just north of Atlanta. The Olive Garden there did a great job. :)

After that we went on to Blue Ridge. There was a fudge shop there, (sorry I can't remember the name of it; it's not the Three Sisters) they had "from scratch" fudge. The butter Pecan was divine! My 3yo loved it because they had a model train that ran a track on a shelf near the ceiling all around the shop. :lol: There was also a place called La Pizzaria that made a gluten-free pizza. I was very nervous about it because of all the flour I thought must be floating around the kitchen, but I did not have a reaction, and the pizza was great!

In Murphy, we mostly stayed with my parents, but there is a health food shop by the flea market (corner of hwys 64 and 19), and the fellow in there is very knowlegeable concerning celiac. The Ingles also is great about labling their gluten-free products. I was looking for a mustard and was calling Kraft on the cell phone, but when I was on hold, I noticed that Ingles had little biege signs under all their gluten free items! (not Kraft) I wish my grocery store would do the same! As far as eating out, Shoebooties Cafe has always been my favorite place to go and now still is! :D I use to work there when I was in high school, and the owner still remembers me. He said that they make accomodations all the time and I had a delicious meal with my mom! There is also a new Italian place, (Mom is looking up their name), they make the most delicious gluten-free cookies!

After that, we went on to Franklin. We had dinner in The Boiler Room which is inside the Fun Factory. Apparently they just had a grand re-opening. It was buffet style that night, but the head chef knew what I was talking about when I said celiac. He pointed me in the right direction, and specially made a blackened chicken entree to go with my sides. It was delicious and again the train theme entertained our kids. :D

It was a challenge at times, but I kept asking around and found some great eats! With this being only my 3rd week gluten-free, I was surprised that I made it through the whole vacation without getting glutened! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The Ingles also is great about labling their gluten-free products. I was looking for a mustard and was calling Kraft on the cell phone, but when I was on hold, I noticed that Ingles had little biege signs under all their gluten free items! (not Kraft)

Glad you found some nice places.

You don't need to call Kraft. This is thier statement about gluten. Some stores will tag the store brands that are gluten-free but not the name brands.

Open Original Shared Link

. If a Kraft product has an ingredient that is a source of gluten, the specific grain will be listed in the ingredient statement, no matter how small the amount. For labeling purposes, Kraft products will always state the names

Harpgirl Explorer

Glad you found some nice places.

You don't need to call Kraft. This is thier statement about gluten. Some stores will tag the store brands that are gluten-free but not the name brands.

Open Original Shared Link

. If a Kraft product has an ingredient that is a source of gluten, the specific grain will be listed in the ingredient statement, no matter how small the amount. For labeling purposes, Kraft products will always state the names

Harpgirl Explorer

That Italian place was called the Antica Roma Caffe.

Archived