MrsNewman

Meijer Organic Broth

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Meijer's Organic vegetable & chicken broths are gluten-free? They look like they should be but I'm still so new at this that I don't trust myself to make a judgment call. There is no phone number on the package to contact Meijer, although I suppose I could try to find one on their website. Just seeing if anyone knew about this or had any experience with it. Still trying to decide what I can save & what needs to be thrown out :(

Can you post the ingredients? Then we could have a look.

Can you post the ingredients? Then we could have a look.

This board is the best resource for me!! Everyone on here has been so helpful & I thank you all for that.

Here is the chicken broth:

Filtered Water, Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Concentrate, Sea Salt, Organic Chicken Fat, Organic Chicken Flavor, Organic Onion Powder, Organic Turmeric, Organic Spices, Organic Carrot Powder.

Here is the veggie broth:

Filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onion, Organic Tomato Paste, Sea Salt, Organic Safflower or Sunflower Oil, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Celeriac Juice, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic White Pepper.

Meijer has a list of Meijer brand gluten-free products online: http://www.meijermealbox.com/meijer-brand-gluten-free-product-list

Click on the link towards the bottom of the page.

I downloaded the list which is super helpful because I do a lot of shopping at Meijer. Their normal Meijer brand (non organic) is listed as gluten-free but organic is not on the list. I can't see why the normal lesser quality one would be gluten-free and the organic would be not but as I said, I'm just not sure yet. This is all still new to me.

I downloaded the list which is super helpful because I do a lot of shopping at Meijer. Their normal Meijer brand (non organic) is listed as gluten-free but organic is not on the list. I can't see why the normal lesser quality one would be gluten-free and the organic would be not but as I said, I'm just not sure yet. This is all still new to me.

I can't say why but I have noticed more organic companies add wheat to things that don't need it. That said IF wheat is an ingredient it has to be listed by law. The only risk would be rye or barley hidden in "natural flavors". I've never seen rye but sprouted barley water sometimes is used in organic products. It may also not be on the list if it is made on the same lines as gluten products and they don't want to guarentee it. It may not have any gluten added but just isn't processed in a gluten-free environment so they don't want ot list it. If you can list the ingredients we could tell you if there's any risk of hidden gluten.

I don't see anything in either of those ingredient lists that would be a gluten concern.

FWIW, until a few years ago, Heinz regular ketchup was gluten-free, but the organic one had gluten. I think it was in the form of malt vinegar from organic barley.

I don't see anything in either of those ingredient lists that would be a gluten concern.

FWIW, until a few years ago, Heinz regular ketchup was gluten-free, but the organic one had gluten. I think it was in the form of malt vinegar from organic barley.

That's interesting. It would seem to me that organic should be gluten-free but I guess that's not always the case. I learn something new every day with this disease and lifestyle. Thanks for your help with this Peter. I'll give the broth a try and see how it goes.

This board is the best resource for me!! Everyone on here has been so helpful & I thank you all for that.

Here is the chicken broth:

Filtered Water, Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Concentrate, Sea Salt, Organic Chicken Fat, Organic Chicken Flavor, Organic Onion Powder, Organic Turmeric, Organic Spices, Organic Carrot Powder.

Here is the veggie broth:

Filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onion, Organic Tomato Paste, Sea Salt, Organic Safflower or Sunflower Oil, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Celeriac Juice, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic White Pepper.

Oops I didn't see this post before. I agree with Peter that these look safe. The only thing I would suspect is the filtered water just because organic companies seem to like to use barley in their "filtered water". It's up to you what you do. I would either try them and see how I feel or give them away. For the future if you like to buy organic my favorite brand that is gluten-free is Pacific Naturals. Most of the time I make my own however since it's very easy to do.

Oops I didn't see this post before.

The very cute Mrs. Newman (love her avatar pic)is still on moderator approval. She posts then one of us has to read & approve. Unfortunately, we are not always around. :blink:

The very cute Mrs. Newman (love her avatar pic)is still on moderator approval. She posts then one of us has to read & approve. Unfortunately, we are not always around. :blink:

Oh, so it wasn't there yet? How very sneaky of you mods! Thanks for letting me know I'm not losing my memory again though! :lol:

Oops I didn't see this post before. I agree with Peter that these look safe. The only thing I would suspect is the filtered water just because organic companies seem to like to use barley in their "filtered water". It's up to you what you do. I would either try them and see how I feel or give them away. For the future if you like to buy organic my favorite brand that is gluten-free is Pacific Naturals. Most of the time I make my own however since it's very easy to do.

I agree, nothing like making your own broths & soups!! I wanted to give these a try instead of throwing these away. I'm using one in a recipe tonight and if I'm feeling bad, I'll give the other one to my parents or the food pantry. Thanks!!

Awwe you are too kind kareng! Yes GlutenFreeManna, you are NOT losing your mind! ;)