organicmama

Soy Intolerance & Externally Used Products

Rate this topic

Do any of you soy intolerant folks find that you have to be as vigilant about externally used products with soy as you would gluten? I just shampooed my hair a bit ago and thought to look at the label. Sure enough, soy protein is right in the middle of the ingredients of my non-toxic, organic, and absolute favorite shampoo. I also just found soybean oil in our natural pest repellent spray.

I don't think I have much risk of ingestion of hair care products, probably not pest spray either. What do you guys think?

Do any of you soy intolerant folks find that you have to be as vigilant about externally used products with soy as you would gluten? I just shampooed my hair a bit ago and thought to look at the label. Sure enough, soy protein is right in the middle of the ingredients of my non-toxic, organic, and absolute favorite shampoo. I also just found soybean oil in our natural pest repellent spray.

I don't think I have much risk of ingestion of hair care products, probably not pest spray either. What do you guys think?

I am not as diligent with my hair care products as maybe I could be ,but lip stick and lip gloss,chap stick, hand creams I am extremely diligent about those. I personally would not use a pest spray with soy oil in it.

Since I have an actual allergy as well as an intolerance to soy I avoid it in all products. In shampoos it makes my head itch and my hair fall out and if in lotions etc I will break out in a rash. I don't know if I didn't have the allergy to it I would be as careful as I am with topicals as I am with gluten though. It would depend on whether I had reactions and couldn't find a food source as a cause. I didn't avoid gluten in topicals at first but soon learned that I had no choice so it might be the same with the soy.

I do occasionally swallow shampoo contaminated water while washing my hair in the shower. My former shampoo also contained soy. When I ingest soy products, I get cramping pain and bloating for about 10 days afterwards. So I decided to switch to Shakai natural shampoo products, which odn't contain any of my 7 diagnosed allergens. They offer a shampoo for color treated hair, as well as regular shampoo products. I also use their creme rinse. Maybe other people can avoid getting shampoo in their mouths, but I can't while I wash my hair in the shower.