ak99

Interpret Blood Results

Rate this topic

Hi

I am new here and posting blood results for my 2 year old, who is experiencing developmental delays.

I have an appointment with the doctor to review the results but I am a little nervous and wanted to check with people who are experienced in this area. Should I pursue a celiac panel test? Thanks in advance.

I am only posting results outside of the range. Rest of the things are in range.

Gluten IGG 43.8 Range is < 2.0 mcg/mL

Casein IGG 10 Range is < 2.0 mcg/mL

IGG Serum 883

IGA serum 44

IGM Serum 104

BUN/Creatining ratio 43 [Range is 6-22]

Cholestrol 178 [Range is 125-170]

UREA Nitrogen 15 Range is [3-12]

Hi

I am new here and posting blood results for my 2 year old, who is experiencing developmental delays.

I have an appointment with the doctor to review the results but I am a little nervous and wanted to check with people who are experienced in this area. Should I pursue a celiac panel test? Thanks in advance.

I am only posting results outside of the range. Rest of the things are in range.

Gluten IGG 43.8 Range is < 2.0 mcg/mL

Casein IGG 10 Range is < 2.0 mcg/mL

IGG Serum 883

IGA serum 44

IGM Serum 104

BUN/Creatining ratio 43 [Range is 6-22]

Cholestrol 178 [Range is 125-170]

UREA Nitrogen 15 Range is [3-12]

Hi and welcome to the board.

Looking at your son's results I have highlighted those that stand out as significant to me for celiac disease. I am only familiar with the term AGA IgG (which refers to anti-gliadin IgG) but I presume gluten could be substituted for antigliadin. This reading is high. Did they do a "Gluten IgA" test also? Since you have not reported it I would assume that it was normal, given that his total serum IgA seems very low, meaning that he does not produce normal amounts of IgA antibodies. This low score would invalidate all other IgA testing. On the other hand his serum IgG is very high.

You might like to read more about antibodies here: http://www.celiac.co...ults/Page1.html

I think if I were you I would ask the doctor to perform the DGP IgG (deamidated gliadin peptide), which is the newest and most specific test for celiac disease. He will need the IgG version since he does not make enough IgA. This is assuming that the test has not already been run and was normal.

Failure to thrive is of course typical of celiac in children and you need to make sure that your doctor does not drop the ball and gets to the bottom of the problem. Wait and see what the doctor has to say about the results. He may refer you to a pediatric gastroenterologist for further testing.

Let us know how things turn out after his visit, and if he had the other testing done.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Gluten IgA was not tested. I will be seeing the doctor in few days to find out more.

Quick question, why do you highlight IGG serum (Range 533-1078 ) and IGA serum (24 - 121)? From the report, it is in the acceptable range.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Gluten IgA was not tested. I will be seeing the doctor in few days to find out more.

Quick question, why do you highlight IGG serum (Range 533-1078 ) and IGA serum (24 - 121)? From the report, it is in the acceptable range.

You did not give the ranges that lab used for those. They sounded high and low to me. Sorry, I should have asked you for the ranges - each lab is different.

I just noticed in the blood report that his B12 is 374 and folate is 24 (range is > 7.1). I am also reading about pernicious anemia. Is there a link between Celiac and pernicious anemia?

I just noticed in the blood report that his B12 is 374 and folate is 24 (range is > 7.1). I am also reading about pernicious anemia. Is there a link between Celiac and pernicious anemia?

Celiacs can have low B12 because the gut damage keeps us from absorbing it from our food or supplements. Pernicious anemia is caused by lack of intrinsic (sp?) factor which is a bit different and that form of anemia may not be helped by the gluten free diet. However in both sublingual B12 or B12 injections can bring the levels to a normal range.

Your sons levels are not extremely low but some doctors now want it to be above 500 as the previous level of 250 is just too low. What is more important is if his levels are dropping since it takes awhile after we lose the ability to utilize B12 before it shows up in blood work. B12 is a water soluable vitamin so you can't take too much of it in most cases. Do ask your doctor if you should be giving him a supplement or if you should retest in a couple of months to see if that level is going down.