This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Hypo Thyroid....

gem75

gem75 Rookie

I was just diagnosed hypo thyroid (hashi's) a little over a month ago . At the time i found out it was strongly advised i go gluten-free to try and help reduce the antibodies.

so i've been gluten-free for a little over a month. I've been off my bp meds for a good week. I forgot to replenish the prescription a day or two and then just decided to see if i could get off the meds. I took my bp today and it was good, it was 121/84... this is very good for me, there were time while on meds it was 140/90.

Does anyone know of going gluten-free could be a result of my bp lowering and possibly not needing meds? or is there no connection? im also on Armour and supporting my adrenals. Possibly the result of the lower bp is because adrenals and thyroid are supported ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I was just diagnosed hypo thyroid (hashi's) a little over a month ago . At the time i found out it was strongly advised i go gluten-free to try and help reduce the antibodies.

so i've been gluten-free for a little over a month. I've been off my bp meds for a good week. I forgot to replenish the prescription a day or two and then just decided to see if i could get off the meds. I took my bp today and it was good, it was 121/84... this is very good for me, there were time while on meds it was 140/90.

Does anyone know of going gluten-free could be a result of my bp lowering and possibly not needing meds? or is there no connection? im also on Armour and supporting my adrenals. Possibly the result of the lower bp is because adrenals and thyroid are supported ??

Yes, going gluten free can reduce the Hashimoto's antibodies attacking your thyroid. However, by the time your tests (TSH, free T3, free T4, TPOab) indicate Hashimoto's, you most likely have enough thyroid damage that you will need supplemental thyroid the rest of your life. Also Low Dose Naltrexone can reduce Hashimoto's antibodies.

Dietary changes can affect blood pressure. Perhaps going gluten free affected your blood pressure.

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, going gluten free can reduce the Hashimoto's antibodies attacking your thyroid. However, by the time your tests (TSH, free T3, free T4, TPOab) indicate Hashimoto's, you most likely have enough thyroid damage that you will need supplemental thyroid the rest of your life. Also Low Dose Naltrexone can reduce Hashimoto's antibodies.

Can you provide a reference for the naltrexone, please? I cannot turn up anything in the scientific literature and I have Hashimoto's. I can't go ask my doctor for a prescription based on Internet lore. He won't write it.

beachbirdie Contributor

Dietary changes can definitely affect your blood pressure, as can a well-treated thyroid. Hypertension is a documented side-effect of hypothyroid.

Be sure to stay well hydrated, as well. I just learned earlier this year that dehydration will cause elevated blood pressure!

As mentioned by others, Hashimoto's causes destruction of the thyroid gland and you will probably need treatment for life. However, if not too far advance, you may get by on lower doses than if you had experienced full destruction of the gland. That is good!

burdee Enthusiast

Can you provide a reference for the naltrexone, please? I cannot turn up anything in the scientific literature and I have Hashimoto's. I can't go ask my doctor for a prescription based on Internet lore. He won't write it.

See Open Original Shared Link That site will tell you more about LDN. I actually took LDN to increase my white blood cell level (esp. neutrolphils) which were decreased after taking heavy duty antibiotics for several years (esp. vancomycin and iodoquinol). Besides decreasing my Hashimoto's antibodies, LDN raised my WBC level back into the normal range. So I stopped getting one respiratory infection after another. I haven't had a real cold for the past 3 months.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for the link. It's what I was afraid of. There have been no studies at all of LDN and Hashimoto's. I guess I'll just wait becasue I don't want to switch doctors. The one I'm seeing is the best I've run across in a while.

I'm very glad to hear it's working so well for you.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

To my knowledge, I don't have any thyroid problems, but have been on blood pressure meds for a while. On med normal for me was 140/90. When I went in for my allergy check-up my blood pressure was 98/64.

I've been on the gluten-free diet about a month too. If my pressure stays so low I'm going to try going off my med and see what happens.

Maybe once the inflamation in our systems start to settle the blood pressure goes down?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived