RacerX35

A Tale Of A Moron

Rate this topic

You know, some epileptic people are lucky enough to know what can cause their seizures. For me nowadays, I know that gluten is the main culprit. So last Saturday my nephew calls and asks if I want to join him on a "canyon run" on the mulholland highway in Los Angeles. I say sure because I have always loooooved driving and the more performance minded the better. Earlier I had stopped off at the store and bought some food, one of the items being a Gallo salami chub(We usually buy the non-wrapped ones in different packaging - no problems there). You know, it's wrapped and has a (I'm now assuming) flour coating over the whole wrapping. I ate a few slices and then was on my way with my nephew following behind me. Made it to where we were supposed to meet and met some nice guys. While talking to them, I started feeling that old bad fuzzy head feeling and excused myself from the area. I went to the restroom and proceeded to have at least an aura or simple partial seizure. I had squatted down by the sink during the episode and when I stood back up and looked in the mirror, my eyes were blood shot. After that was over, I was feeling fine like usual afterwards and proceeded to go on this crazy windy road run. So the moral of this story is,,,,,, don't be a moron like me and risk too much. If this had happened during the run, I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now. Bye for now and flame all you want for being this foolish. lol

Later,

Ray B)

I don't know if it was the salami or not. I do worry that you continue to drive a car with active seizures. It is illegal in most if not all states and dangerous for the rest of us on the roads. I hope you never drive your children, either.

You really need to be extremely careful if this is the case. Driving can be extremely dangerous but I've never heard of seizures affecting those with coeliac so badly... :unsure:

Thank you both for the concern, it is appreciated. As far as "active" seizures go. I no longer have continuous seizure activity. Believe me, I went almost three years not being able to drive due to seizure activity. I was having at least 6-8 seizures daily before I had my surgery :blink: . Since surgery and having gone gluten free for just over a year now, I am an under (Doubt I could ever say cured)control epileptic. The thing that really ever sets me off now is the consumption of gluten. I found out that that is why while being on 3 different medications at one time, I was still having what they call refractory seizures. I was not responding to the medication as I should have been. The only time I actually have an active seizure is after having had some (even a small amount) gluten. I am checked every 6 months with my neurologist and go in for EEGs or other tests if there is anything out of the ordinary. My neuro's office is about 15 minutes from my house. If at anytime I have an issue at home or out driving my family, I do not drive with any body. My wife or whoever is with me drives from there on. The main thing with this type of episode and the difference from what I used to have, is that I feel it coming on and can prep myself. Before I had what they call Complex Partial seizures that would basically black me out. I didn't even know anything had started, much less now what happened. That's how I found out that I had epilepsy. I always try to stay as safe as I can and the main thing now is to make sure I stay away from gluten. For the most part I am quite aware of anyting that goes on with these "auras" that I get now and can control my actions prior to anything happening. If I was more out of control, believe me, my neuro would pop me right off of being able to drive for at least 6 months (California law). @ kellynolan82, The funny thing is that I was not diagnosed as having celiac, but being gluten sensitive. This is what many believe is what progressively developed my having Hippocampal Sclerosis and rolled me up to developing epilepsy. You would think that they would call that celiac. It built up over time. It's not an easy life, but one that I have adapted to fairly well. I don't eat any gluten unless it has been by accidental consumption. To all that read this, I do stay safe and will not drive in most types of issues such as this. It comes along and I feel okay afterwards, which is much better than before. I would be out of action mentally for almost two days at times. Luckily it never affected work.

Later,

Ray B)

The salami itself is always okay with me, but I thinnk that the sorrounding "powder" is flour or something similar. ;)

First - if they use flour they have to list it as an ingredient.

second- You haven't told your doctor about your recent seizures. When I worked in health care in California it didn't matter what causes your seizures. You had to be seizure free for a certain amount of time. I remember a patient that had the first seizure she had ever had because of a medicine she started taking & immediately stopped. The doctors wrote & testified but she still couldn't have her liscense back until 2 ? years seizure free. (don't remember the exact amount of time & it may have changed)

I tell my neurologist every time. If there is not a significant episode, then they keep record of it for review or report it to the DMV if neccessary. I am fully aware of all implications with the DMV, they have record of the my disease on file. I already had to have my neuro file paperwork for me and the DMV had no issue. They went ahead and re-issued my license, I received it about 2 weeks after they had told me that my renewal was on hold. If there is a problem with the seizures stemming just from the neurological issue, then yes. When it is reported, your license is suspended for 6 months (California law) and only if you do not have any more seizures within that time. 6 months from every seizure. I am not new to this, I have had to deal with epilepsy for almost 5 years now. I've delt with 3 different neurologists and my neuro surgeon. I don't do anything illegally aside from speeding every now and then. I started taking medication, but it did not immediately stop, I would think that there could be questions raised if it stopped after discontinuing the medication. There is usually some kind of testing that can say that this was an isolated incident and that it will not happen again. Did she tell you that she never ever had another seizure? Maybe that's why it took so long to get her license back, especially if it was the first one she ever had. I follow rules and research as much as I can for everything that affects my body and brain to stay as safe as possible, so I don't do things out of negligence and am offended for it to be insinuated that I would. I am a provider for my family and care for everyone in my family, sometimes taking care of more than just my wife and children :angry: .

Thank you for your concern,

Ray