Aseyan

Celiac & Lactose Intolerance...

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I was newly diagnosed with celiac about a month ago (blood test) after I had been feeling really sick every time I ate since my son was born 6 months ago. I didn't have a problem with gluten prior to my son's birth but we're thinking that his birth kind of kicked it into effect. When I eat gluten I luckily enough don't have tummy troubles. I get tingly hands/feet, visual disturbances, brain fog, anxiety, trouble with balance etc.

About a week after I cut gluten out of my diet, I started to get really sick to my stomach, to the point of having to run to the bathroom about once every hour. And it reminded me of the lactose intolerance I had when I was a kid. Is it possible that by cutting out gluten, it kicked my lactose intolerance back into gear? I haven't had issues with dairy for ages.

And if so, are there any resources for diets? I'm at a complete loss at this point, I don't even know where to start.

Thanks all,

Jennie

Yes and no.

You are probably going through withdrawal/detox from gluten. Also, many celiacs are intolerant to milk - either while trying to heal or permanently. It's probably good to go gluten and milk (casein and lactose) free for a while, then try adding back milk.

Don't be surprised if other food problems pop up in the near future. They could be temporary as you heal, or permanent.

Good luck and ask lots of questions!

And yes, there are lots of celiac recipe/diet books out there. Check your local library first and see what's free.

Are you being really careful to prevent CC? You need a new toaster for just gluten-free bread, to replace scratched nonstick pans, wooden utensils and strainers. It helps to go with whole unprocessed foods at first and do avoid restaurants. Do not bake with flour for others and if your significant other eats gluten make sure that teeth get brushed well before kissing. The advice to avoid dairy is a good one also. Add it back in after you have been feeling well for a while to see if you tolerate it. You could be going through withdrawl but you could also be getting cross contaminated as the diet is tricky at first and reacitons can change and become more severe after we go gluten free.

It's very common to become intolerant of dairy after giving up gluten. I didn't believe it at first, even though I read a lot of posts on it here, I just didn't want to think it would happen to me. But it did. Just a few months after giving up gluten had to give up dairy...(well most of it...I still use a dab of butter) I keep hoping I will be one who can return dairy to my diet, but not so far...and I'm at one year gluten-free. Like Ravenwood said, watch for all traces of gluten and sources of cross contamination. Best of luck.

It's very common to become intolerant of dairy after giving up gluten. I didn't believe it at first, even though I read a lot of posts on it here, I just didn't want to think it would happen to me. But it did. Just a few months after giving up gluten had to give up dairy...(well most of it...I still use a dab of butter) I keep hoping I will be one who can return dairy to my diet, but not so far...and I'm at one year gluten-free. Like Ravenwood said, watch for all traces of gluten and sources of cross contamination. Best of luck.

This has happened to me, too. At first I was wondering how the heck it would occur and was so pleased that I seemed to be fine with dairy, then BANG. My intolerance seemed to literally happen overnight after being gluten free for five months. No dairy for me for now, either. :(