Rate this topic

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac. She is an AVID user of play doh. I see that there are several gluten free options out there. I am delighted since I do not have time right now to try and concoct any. I am wondering about your experiences with them. Do your kids have a favorite brand? I was intrigued by the naturally scented ones also. Does any one know if they are they strongly scented?

I would appreciate your opinions/thoughts!

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac. She is an AVID user of play doh. I see that there are several gluten free options out there. I am delighted since I do not have time right now to try and concoct any. I am wondering about your experiences with them. Do your kids have a favorite brand? I was intrigued by the naturally scented ones also. Does any one know if they are they strongly scented?

I would appreciate your opinions/thoughts!

I've only tried the Soyer doh. It was really sticky. If it sat in the containers any length of time it started to crystalize. I ended up throwing it all away. My youngest son is bugging me for some more. If I ever get around to it I'm going to try the recipe from the Argo cornstarch site.

http://www.argostarch.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1286

I've only tried the Soyer doh. It was really sticky. If it sat in the containers any length of time it started to crystalize. I ended up throwing it all away. My youngest son is bugging me for some more. If I ever get around to it I'm going to try the recipe from the Argo cornstarch site.

http://www.argostarch.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1286

I decorate cakes (gluten free of course). I always have a bunch of fondant and gumpaste on hand. When my kids want to play with playdoh I give them a little hunk of fondant to play and mold with. It works for us because I always have a bunch on hand, but it would probably be more expensive than other options out there for most people.

Fondant seems like a cool idea.

We use the gluten free dough from Discount School Supply, and it was well liked at the school when I sent it in for my girls' classes. We have all gluten free dough tools as well. I did look at a few gluten free doughs in the beginning, mainly because I wanted to figure out if any of them would test negative for gluten with a home test for gluten. None tested negative and at some point I realized that I tested them further just to confirm that there was not a high positive for the doughs we wanted to use. So, we do have rigid cleanup protocols in place for when we bring out "gluten free" dough, as we are of the more sensitive variety here. We have also used clay.

Fondant seems like a cool idea.

We use the gluten free dough from Discount School Supply, and it was well liked at the school when I sent it in for my girls' classes. We have all gluten free dough tools as well. I did look at a few gluten free doughs in the beginning, mainly because I wanted to figure out if any of them would test negative for gluten with a home test for gluten. None tested negative and at some point I realized that I tested them further just to confirm that there was not a high positive for the doughs we wanted to use. So, we do have rigid cleanup protocols in place for when we bring out "gluten free" dough, as we are of the more sensitive variety here. We have also used clay.

I appreciate the suggestions. I had not thought about the "gluten free" dough still testing positive for gluten. Gosh, we have just started down this road and I see that I will have a lot more to think about than I initially thought!