heather Goble

Does Dh Only Occur In Larger Patches?

Rate this topic

Since I have been gluten free (about 8 months) I notice when I Get cc'd I sometimes get an itchy blister. It lasts for a few days, goes down, sometimes goes away, sometimes repeats this cycle. When it finally goes away, it leaves a purple mark. The odd thing is, I only get one or two at a time so it doesn't really seem like a rash, but what is it then?

DH can look very different person to person. You don't have to have a big rashy patch.

Some people also get eczema/psoriasis from gluten.

I was on the fence about mine til I withdrew iodine - and it quickly went away and hasn't come back. That's a pretty strong indicator.

When I get glutened, I usually get only one blister on the sole of my right foot and another blister on my left palm. I know they're DH because I used to get them all over my face and neck; however, for some reason, I only get one blister in each of those spots when I've been glutened, and sometimes I'll get one or two on my face or neck, too. And, yes, they leave a purple or dark scar that lasts for quite a while.

It seems strange that I didn't start getting this until after I stopped eating gluten. I once did get a patch on my chest, the very first time it happened. The patch on my chest was extremely itchy, but hurt when I scratched it. I had eaten peanuts from trader joes that were labeled gluten free. However, the back of the package said that they were made on shared equipment with wheat. For the most part I usually get one on my hand/wrist and on in the same spot every time on the top of my foot.

Yes, until I went gluten free, the only places I got DH were my face and neck; however, AFTER going gluten free, whenever I got glutened, usually only my hand and foot ended up with a DH blister or two. Bizarre mystery, for sure--but, hey, there are TWO of us who suffer from it...and I'll bet there are more.

Yes, until I went gluten free, the only places I got DH were my face and neck; however, AFTER going gluten free, whenever I got glutened, usually only my hand and foot ended up with a DH blister or two. Bizarre mystery, for sure--but, hey, there are TWO of us who suffer from it...and I'll bet there are more.

Yep there are. It can also change in presentation in myself for example early on a DH outbreak was the first sign I had been glutened but after I had been well healed it became the last to appear. Now that I have been gluten-free for 9 years I have to get glutened really bad for it to show up.