Apache

Why Is Meat Giving Me A Headache

Rate this topic

I thought this may be an issue with amines, but even meat that is low in amines is causing a problem. Other food that is high in amines doesn't do this. I thought maybe it was free glutamate, but other food high in free glutamate doesn't do this.

Any ideas?

I've been vegan for years and one reason is that meat makes me sick. Gut pain and bloating, headaches, just general misery. I feel like I'm just not meant to eat meat, and I definitely don't need it. But I've never gotten a good explanation for it.

I thought this may be an issue with amines, but even meat that is low in amines is causing a problem. Other food that is high in amines doesn't do this. I thought maybe it was free glutamate, but other food high in free glutamate doesn't do this.

Any ideas?

All meat? Organic meat? Free-range meat? Can you provide more details?

All meat? Organic meat? Free-range meat? Can you provide more details?

All meat, yes. Fish actually seems to do it worse than anything else.

Was just wondering if it is the red dye or the preseratives they put in it deer meat does not bother me its what they put in it to keep it looking good in the stores. Know i have only been able to buy chicken breast from Sam's club the Member Mark does not have the same additives in it.

Do you have any trouble with antibiotics, citric acid, or bleach?

Meat is all washed with an anti-bacterial. Different types of meat get different washes. A diluted bleach wash is common, and so is citric acid (for beef and fish). I'm sure there are others - might be worth checking out, because if you react to the cleansers, you can sometimes find local meats that are a smaller company and don't use it.

also, many meats have antibiotic residue, and if you are sensitive or allergic to any antibiotics, it can cause a small reaction. Fish tends to have the highest antibiotic residue. I grew more sensitive after going gluten free, and while I've always had reactions to most antibiotics, now I have trouble with meat from animals that were fed it, as well.

If not any of these, it might be worth checking out some local meats to see if they are an issue. check out some local ranchers. Go fishing. See if any hunters in the area are trading meat for anything (often can't sell their meat, but some will trade for, say, another deer tag, that sort of thing). They'll often have notices up in some of the local gun stores.

At least that might help you figure out whether the meat itself is the issue, or if there is something contacting the meat at some point that is the problem, yes?