This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Luck Reintroducing Dairy?

dws

dws Contributor

I am non-celiac gluten intolerant. While trying to refine my gluten free diet, I also gave up dairy just in case that was giving me trouble. Now, I occasionally try to re-introduce dairy by trying small amounts of yogurt for a few days. The first day or so usually go ok although I get a little rumbly and gassy, but by the 4th or 5th day I get hit with a big blowout. Anybody out there have advice on getting back on dairy?. Should I just gut it out and keep hammering down the yogurt even after getting diarrhea? Also, I don't totally understand the casien issue. Is that maybe the problem instead of classic lactose intolerance? I really wish I could eat dairy. I've gotten pretty thin since my gluten sensitivity is severe enough that I can't eat processed gluten free food. Dairy would be a good way to get nutrition and gain weight. I feel like a may have made myself lactose intolerant by maybe eliminating it unnecessarily.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missmellie Newbie

I am non-celiac gluten intolerant. While trying to refine my gluten free diet, I also gave up dairy just in case that was giving me trouble. Now, I occasionally try to re-introduce dairy by trying small amounts of yogurt for a few days. The first day or so usually go ok although I get a little rumbly and gassy, but by the 4th or 5th day I get hit with a big blowout. Anybody out there have advice on getting back on dairy?. Should I just gut it out and keep hammering down the yogurt even after getting diarrhea? Also, I don't totally understand the casien issue. Is that maybe the problem instead of classic lactose intolerance? I really wish I could eat dairy. I've gotten pretty thin since my gluten sensitivity is severe enough that I can't eat processed gluten free food. Dairy would be a good way to get nutrition and gain weight. I feel like a may have made myself lactose intolerant by maybe eliminating it unnecessarily.

To put it simply, casein is milk protein. That is a different substance in milk than lactose, which is milk sugar. A person can be intolerant of one, or the other, or both. It sure sounds from your description that you have a problem with at least one of them. My suspicion is that if you keep "hammering down" the yogurt, you will continue to have problems. You didn't make yourself lactose intolerant, but your gluten intolerance could have made you both casein and/or lactose intolerant. I miss dairy, too, especially cheese, since there are so few substitutes for it. Have you tried milk substitutes? Almond milk is quite tasty. Good luck with your problems.

dws Contributor

Yeah, I have tried rice,almond,hazelnut milks. As I have become more intolerant to gluten, these products haven't been gluten free enough for me. I react to well below 20ppm. I guess I am a little confused about lactose intolerance. I have read that once your body stops making lactase, that's it for dairy. I have also read that you can somehow overcome lactose intolerance. I work with someone who says he became lactose intolerant for about a year after having a bad virus. He says he does ok with dairy now. On this forum, people often say they can tolerate dairy again after healing from celiac disease. I don't have the damage to my villi like people with celiac have since I am non-celiac gluten intolerant. I don't think I was lactose intolerant when I first eliminated it from my diet. I really did not feel any better when I eliminated it. I eliminated a lot of things just trying to figure out why my symptoms returned about 2 years into what I thought was a gluten free diet. Now that I have realized that my problem was increased gluten sensitivity, it is a little vexing that dairy is now a problem though I know I might just have to accept it. I did make my own rice milk recently. It was ok. The recipe made more than I could consume quickly, so I froze a lot of it. I thawed some out today and figured out it does not freeze well. It ain't rice milk anymore-kind of a strange semi solid blob instead. Maybe I could throw it back in the blender with some water.

mushroom Proficient

Since you were never biopsied, you cannot be sure that there was no villous damage and that you are non-celiac. The genetics testing only regards DQ2 and DQ8 as positive, whereas other genes are associated with celiac in the rest of the world. Have you thought of having repeat blood testing to see what your antibody status is? If, as I believe I read in a post, you live in a house of gluten eaters you may be getting enugh cross-contamination to keep the antibodies active and your gut may not have healed fully.

srall Contributor

I don't know how long you need to be gluten free before you can introduce dairy, but I am stilll very intolerant to dairy after almost 2 years. It's been a huge struggle to keep good fats in my diet. I try coconut milk, avocados, olive oil and canola oil. I don't do much rice milk and almond milk for cc reasons and an allergy to almonds.

After this amount of time I'm not sure I'm getting dairy back. It would be nice though.

For you I think if you are getting that rough stomach, it's a sign you're not there yet. (hopefully "yet")

Archived