bny06

Does Casein Free Also Mean No Whey?

Rate this topic

I realized last week I had a bad reaction to caisen.. so i cut it out of my diet immediately (now 7 weeks gluten free). I however have been drinking these enlive drinks (like ensure but juice) to gain weight from all the weight I lost, and read something in my gluten free book that I should also avoid whey!! Opps! The drinks are mostly whey protein.. am I supposed to stay away from Whey as well?? I want to feel better so badly, so I'll do whatever it takes! thanks in advance!

Whey is a cheese protein.

Here is what Wiki says about whey protein:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. Some preclinical studies in rodents have suggested that whey protein may possess anti-inflammatory or anti-cancer properties; however, human data is lacking.[1][2] The effects of whey protein on human health are of great interest and are currently being investigated as a way of reducing disease risk, as well as a possible supplementary treatment for several diseases.[3]

Whey protein is commonly marketed and ingested as a dietary supplement, and various health claims have been attributed to it in the alternative medicine community.[4] Although whey proteins are responsible for some milk allergies, the major allergens in milk are the caseins.