This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long B-4 Brain & Body Working?

Tom2

Tom2 Rookie

Self Diagnosed Celiac November 2010 thanks to brother #2. Hi everyone, New here to the forum.

At age 54, after 4 doctors and 12 long years of suffering, I had to quit my stressful job almost 2 years ago for what I know now is celiac. Was unable to work, think or even get out of bed most days. Had Severe Chronic Fatigue, Sleeping 20 hr. a day, Severe brain fog, blurred vision, migraines, Candida, Joints, muscles & bones in pain, tooth enamel gone, ruptured disc in neck, toward end had minor vomiting, GI, etc. Discovered from research after quitting job that adrenals seemed to start shutting down toward the end, as Cortisol levels were low. Been gluten-free for almost 1 year and most of these problems have left except for some fatigue and Neuro issues. After 1st week of being gluten-free, it was as though my body was No longer in 24/7 survival mode but rather felt like brain and body had completely shut down to repair. This has lasted for several months as I am learning about cross contamination.

Mother (76) was diagnosed with celiac over 30 years ago after suffering several years, but doctors did not tell her it was hereditary and to have kids and siblings checked. Her symptoms were totally different than mine and she is gluten-free but not educated about CC.

Anyway, I thought maybe some one could tell me when I would feel like working again as I feel that everyone here (except for brother with celiac) doesn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CR5442 Contributor

You sound like you have had a really tough time. I would just listen to your body with regard to how soon and how much work you take on. Your body and mind are exhausted for some time after giving up Gluten. It takes the adrenals a long time to recover too. How do you feel physically and mentally in yourself now? Do you feel ready to up the gears a little (not to workaholic status that's for sure!).

AVR1962 Collaborator

Tom, like you, my search took too long all the while my body suffering from something that is completely preventable....too bad testing isn't more accurate. I am 48 and what finally got me was the neuro issues, I was losing my hair, I was bearely able to function. It felt like I had Alzheimer's and I was afraid I had MS, crazy what gluten can do for you.

I have been gluten-free now for over 6 months. My body was terribly deficient in vit and minerals and my gut was tore up. I went to a low acid diet and have been supplementing since June. My last symptom to fix was my vision issues which was due to a lack of vit A. With all I have done I can say I feel almost normal again....lol, but if you looked at my med cab you'd think I was nuts!

To answer your question, I think it is depends on many factors as to how long a person takes to get back on their feet. For us who have neuro issues it seems to take longer. Any symptoms left for you at this point? Are you supplementing?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It can be difficult to reenter the workforce when we still haven't fully healed. I don't know what your occupation was but there is a possibility that someplace like Vesid might be able to help you reenter the workforce in an occupation that you can handle. For myself I do volunteer work that has showed me how much stamina I really have and part time is really all I can physically do so I am doing work over the internet to supplement my income. Sometimes it is hard to get others to understand that no matter how much we want to go back to our old hard working days it just isn't physically possible. That can be really tough on our selfesteem especially when friends and family don't understand. Then we have to rethink how we are going to be productive and make enough money to survive. It isn't easy and I wish I had some magic bullet for you and for myself. If you are not taking supplements then it would be a good idea to get your vitamin and mineral levels checked by your doctors as some of us can be deficient even after the gut has fully healed. Supplementing what we are low in can help us feel better. Also be really careful to avoid CC and eat as much whole unprocessed food as you can.

Tom2 Rookie

Thanks for the all the help & advice. My medical issues are a lot more than I listed but I strongly believe that I will find a way to conquer this disease. I have been supplementing with more vitamins and supplements than I can type but down to a few now. In the last 10 years I have spent more than 15 thousand $$$ on vitamins, minerals & supplements and anything else I thought would help my mysterious illness. I have found over the past few months that a lot of the vit. & sup. I was taking was cross contanimated after ups and downs and quit taking them. Also been trying to balance my PH and get it to 7.0 but is difficult to get past 6.5... I have also done liver flushes & ionic foot detoxes.

Sometimes hard to get out of bedroom much less the house and I believe I have been getting cross contamination on a daily basis. The measures I have read you go through to prevent CC is much more than what I have been practicing. I think a lot of my neuro issues involve depression as I don't feel much like going outside or being around people and may be from the CC.

Thanks again for all your help. I have read many post in past few weeks and feel I have learned more here than all the books and articles I have read in last year.

Archived