This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kitchen Gadgets

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

I watched a few videos on U-Tube about making grilled pizza. One suggested getting one of the pizza pans with little holes in it vs. a pizza stone. (I don't have a pizza stone.) I went to Wal-Mart and debated over the non-stick or the aluminum.

I decided to get the aluminum one because I'd be using it mainly on the gas grill, and didn't like the idea of high heat with nonstick chemicals. It was a $12 purchase and I'm totally happy with it. I made gluten-free breadsticks in the oven today on the new pan and they actually browned up very nicely! (Especially on the bottom.) The pizza turned out good too! I think it will work well with buns, cookies and crackers, just haven't tried them out yet. If you don't already have one, the pizza pan with the holes (holy pizza pan?) might be worth a purchase. (The non-stick was less than $8.)

If you have other suggestions on worthwhile kitchen gadgets, please add your advice. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fantasticalice Explorer

America's Test Kitchen just did a piece on pizza stone verses cast iron. They really liked the cast iron better and it was only $20.

Took 15 minutes to reach 500 which is what gets you that roasted effect. Then you put the pizza on the pan. Thin crust takes 5-8 minutes. I have a wooden board that I assemble on to just slip in onto the pan. Lots of cornmeal helps with step. A thin board with shaved down edges works best. I priced these and went home and made my own!

Cooking goes quick at that high heat!

Alice

You can use the pizza pan for more than pizza, iron roasts terrific veggies to put on that pizza!

Thanks Alice, I retired my cast iron cookware...it's still in the cabinets but I haven't used it for 18 months. Can you suggest a safe cleansing method or should I just donate my old (loved) cast iron cookware the the local thrift shop and start with new? Even if get new, it isn't the same, but you know that. B)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thanks Alice, I retired my cast iron cookware...it's still in the cabinets but I haven't used it for 18 months. Can you suggest a safe cleansing method or should I just donate my old (loved) cast iron cookware the the local thrift shop and start with new? Even if get new, it isn't the same, but you know that. B)

There's a whole string of posts on cast iron...yes, you can reseason. I put mine in the oven on 500 for a few hours (smell is awful), scrubbed with scour pad and Bon Ami and reseasoned. Good as new!

You know the old stuff has burned off when there's a grey coating all over the pan.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Yes! Yes! Yes! Those holy pizza pans make ALL the difference in the world in getting a nice crispy crust!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Those holy pizza pans make ALL the difference in the world in getting a nice crispy crust!!

Thanks! I appreciate the other respones too... will try the high temp kill and re-seasoning with my cast iron cookware, it's a love thing. I didn't have a problem with tossing out plastic or wood, but I had to keep my cast iron.

The holy pizza pan definitely rocks for gluten-free baking. Stuff actually browns instead of looking sickish white but done. I like baked goods that look baked.

psawyer Proficient

I retired my cast iron cookware...it's still in the cabinets but I haven't used it for 18 months. Can you suggest a safe cleansing method.

If you have a self-cleaning oven, put the cookware in the oven while you run the clean cycle. That will burn any protein still stuck on the pan to the point of being chemically beyond recognition by your immune system. Then re-season the pan and continue loving it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

If you have a self-cleaning oven, put the cookware in the oven while you run the clean cycle. That will burn any protein still stuck on the pan to the point of being chemically beyond recognition by your immune system. Then re-season the pan and continue loving it.

Be careful if you have a gas oven, or cookware you value highly.

I've heard the seasoning can melt off, and of you put foil in the oven to catch it the foil literally melts to tge rack or liner. Not good.

Also, I think more people have cast iron crack in clean mode in gas ovens, although its possible in electric.

Google "reseasoning cast iron" and you'll find some interesting sites.

I just checked my oven and I probably set it at 550 since that's the highest temp it allows (aside from broil and clean). I have a gas oven so I was conservative.

My grandmother used to toss hers in a fire...but the skillets were made better back then...

Anyway, if you get the grey coating you're accomplishing the goal.

psawyer Proficient

Yeah, I meant electric ovens, but forgot to exclude gas. I have always had electric stoves. I have no experience with gas ones.

I do have some experience with gas. :ph34r:

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I had cast iron pans years ago. I got rid of them when non-stick came along. The iron ones were so heavy and they seemed to need more upkeep?

Once DXed, I got rid of the non-stick and replaced it with several cast iron pieces. I LOVE them now! If you know how to care for them they are wonderful. You can brown meats at a higher temp.(I know I was cooking at too high of a temp on the non-stick to be safe, now that I've read more) and they add a bit of needed iron to your food.

I got 2 pizza pans with the holes, but so far only used them once. The pizza crust I made from a mix was so horrible I haven't attempted pizza since. It's good to know they have other uses.

I have an electric oven and I just checked, 500 degrees is the top I can go. It doesn't have a self cleaning feature, it's actually an undersized oven in a galley kitchen, and I'm just hoping they still mfg that size when this one bites the dust. I wonder if this would have worked on the gas grill I tossed. Anyway, I'll google "reseasoning cast iron", psawyer. Peter & pricklypear, thanks for the advice!

Bubbas Mom, some of those pizza mixes are horrid. It might not be the pan. Try Chebe. If you can't find it locally, you can get them on Amazon. (Or gluten-free Mall.) Chebe and Holy Pizza Pan = pizza heaven. I'll give pizza a whirl on the cast iron next time. I have to wait until it gets cold here to whip up that oven temperature.

I have an electric oven and I just checked, 500 degrees is the top I can go. It doesn't have a self cleaning feature, it's actually an undersized oven in a galley kitchen, and I'm just hoping they still mfg that size when this one bites the dust. I wonder if this would have worked on the gas grill I tossed. Anyway, I'll google "reseasoning cast iron", psawyer. Peter & pricklypear, thanks for the advice!

Bubbas Mom, some of those pizza mixes are horrid. It might not be the pan. Try Chebe. If you can't find it locally, you can get them on Amazon. (Or gluten-free Mall.) Chebe and Holy Pizza Pan = pizza heaven. I'll give pizza a whirl on the cast iron next time. I have to wait until it gets cold here to whip up that oven temperature.

I made the Chebe focaccia bread in my cast iron and it was fabulous!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks! I'll have to try that pizza mix. I used the KA gluten free flour recipe and it was like biscuit dough. None of us liked it.

If you bake your cast iron on the high temp..be aware that it can make your kitchen/house smell awful. It's best to do it when you aren't expecting company and your family isn't around.

After I use my cast iron I wash it with plain water and a nylon scrubbie that's only used for those pans. Then I dry the pan, rub a little coconut oil, bacon grease, or olive oil in the inside and set it on a burner set to high. Once I see the start of smoke I turn the burner off, and let the pan sit until cool. It keeps them well seasoned.

If I leave the pan sit for too long before turning the burner off..it gets stinky in the kitchen. :(

Thamk you Bubba's Mom, I have a tiny house, and I'll wait till we get a good chill here so I can heat the oven and open the windows. Shouldn't be long.

I made Chebe's garlic onion cheese sticks last weekend on that holy pan. (They can be made without cheese, but I'm doing dairy okay for now.) I chopped the leftover breadsticks into 3/4 inch pieces and OMG they were good in my soup today. It's hard to explain, sort of like a crouton or a dumpling with great flavor.

Those little frozen Chebe bread sticks were a treat today. (I just stuck a sandwich bag of them in my lunch box straight from the freezer.) I nuked my soup for 1.5 minutes, stirred, added the cubes, and cooked for .5 minute more. I'll definitely make the breadsticks again!

Archived