Angelica

Academic Conference

Rate this topic

In about a week I will travel to San Francisco for an academic conference for four days and then on to Los Angeles to visit family for Thanksgiving.

This is my first trip since being diagnosed.

My family has been supportive of the celiac diagnosis, so I know my mom and dad are already planning to have a gluten-free Thanksgiving. My mom is diabetic and eats few carbs anyway so it won't be hard to cook around me. My concern is the conference.

Despite the fact that we will be in one of America's great food cities, conferences are tough. You are stuck eating food around the conference center because you don't have time (between sessions) to go very far because you need to get back in time for the sessions. Its lots of socializing and going out in groups, so I'm the "difficult" one. I have to travel only with my computer and my carry-on and pack for 10 days like this, so I can only bring a few snacks with me, and because we'll be downtown in the touristy section I won't have time to get away to a store to buy back-up snacks.

So friends, what do I bring with me while traveling, how should I approach this? I just figured I'll be starving the whole time but that sounds like a miserable way to be now doesn't it?

I bet $20 you can find a place in SF that will deliver gluten-free meals to your hotel. Additionally, try calling the hotel and explaining your situation - I bet they can accommodate you somehow.

You also can find a grocer there, buy a styrofoam cooler and pack it with fresh fruits, veggies, etc.

Google "gluten free San Francisco" and see if there's a local group site.

It would be a real shame to starve in San Francisco with all the great food! You could always stop by a market or the Ferry Building on the first evening and stock up on snacks. Also I agree that there is likely a gluten-free restaurant that would deliver for you. I do hope you get what you need!