smsm

Thanksgiving Success!

Rate this topic

So, my two small children and I were diagnosed days before Christmas last year (bummer of a time). We are going out of town for Thanksgiving, so I hosted my husband's family tonight for traditional Thanksgiving dinner and it was a perfect meal. (Well, you know, food wise, family is for another web forum ;) )For those of you who are newbies, I want to send out a cyber-hug and tell you it is all going to be just fine during the holidays. Every dish I made came out great - The turkey was naturally gluten-free (gravy thickened with corn starch). I made a corn casserole with gluten-free corn bread mix. I made stuffing from gluten-free bread cubes. Green beans. Sweet potatoes fries and with sugar (naturally gluten-free). apple pie with gluten-free crust and brownies (gluten-free - ad hoc from william sonoma) and Talenti vanilla gelato. I told people to bring wine and to come and help me cook instead of bringing a dish. It wasn't until the very end that I mentioned that it was all gluten-free and they had completely forgotten - it was great. I needed to see something like this last year when the world felt like it was coming to an end and I cannot stress enough how much things sort themselves out with time - it is still an inconvenience and I wish I could fly free, but I have still traveled a lot this year - with 98% success (that's pretty good!) and to have a success with a holiday meal felt like a milestone. It's going to be ok. If you are struggling with things being different, I just want to show that life can still be Rockwellian during the holidays (again, food wise....)....

Thank you so much for your posting! Newbies need to read about these types of successful ventures to learn that going gluten free can be easier than imagined. I think Thanksgiving is an especially easy holiday to deal with, as long as the meal is cooked by a knowledgeable person, but I can imagine newbies feeling very challenged. I'm very lucky in that my mother, son, niece, and nephew all have celiac, and we celebrate Thanksgiving at my mom's house. The meal has been 100% gluten free for the past seven years, and nobody seems to miss the gluten.

I'm so glad your Thanksgiving meal was a success! Yay for gluten free!!

Glad it was a sucess. :-)This will be our first thankgiving gluten-free.

Glad it was a sucess. :-)This will be our first thankgiving gluten-free.

:ph34r::D:rolleyes::lol:

...so I hosted my husband's family tonight for traditional Thanksgiving dinner and it was a perfect meal. (Well, you know, food wise, family is for another web forum )