sarahw

Pernicious Anemia/b12 Injections

Rate this topic

I have celiac and was also recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia. My doctor has recommended 10mg B12 injections 4 times a week for a few weeks. I guess this would be considered a "loading dose" and then we would decrease the number of injections to maintain levels. This dosage seems really high to me--what is normal for a B12 deficiency? What are other people's experiences with 1)dosage 2)frequency of dosages and 3)results after receiving the injections--how long did it take for you to feel better as it is relates to depression/anxiety, fatique etc. Thanks for your help!

I initially had an injection once a week for a month, then once a month for a year or two, now every 3 months.

Like mushroom, once a week for me (for a month) and it was a new awakening. Then once a month, for four.

I got them every two weeks over a four-month period (I was never told the dosage), and then my doctor decided to see what would happen. My levels dropped within five weeks to the point where I was gasping for breath. When I called to get an injection, I was told that there was a nationwide shortage (that was last month) and that I couldn't start injections again for a while. So, now I take 2000 mcg of sublingual B12 twice a day. I feel much better on the sublingual supplementation than I did on the injections. Also, my complexion finally cleared up--it turns out that the deficiency was causing me to break out.

I feel much better on the sublingual supplementation than I did on the injections. Also, my complexion finally cleared up--it turns out that the deficiency was causing me to break out.

That's so different from me. I had to take the injections because the sublinguals caused me to break out - I had to take acne medication to clear it up, and I had never had acne in my life :o

I have celiac and was also recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia. My doctor has recommended 10mg B12 injections 4 times a week for a few weeks. I guess this would be considered a "loading dose" and then we would decrease the number of injections to maintain levels. This dosage seems really high to me--what is normal for a B12 deficiency? What are other people's experiences with 1)dosage 2)frequency of dosages and 3)results after receiving the injections--how long did it take for you to feel better as it is relates to depression/anxiety, fatique etc. Thanks for your help!

safe, cost-effective, and well tolerated by patients.19

TABLE 4

Schedule for Vitamin B12 Therapy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Route of administration Initial dosage Maintenance dosage

Oral

1,000 to 2,000 mcg per day for one to two weeks

1,000 mcg per day for life

Intramuscular

100 to 1,000 mcg every day or every other day for one to two weeks

100 to 1,000 mcg every one to three months

the schedule appears to be fine,but the dose is off..