ScarlettsMommy

Lloyds Pork Bbq Question

Rate this topic

It says Gluten Free...but I have a few questions. The ingredients are as follows

Cooked Seasoned Pork (pork, water, hydrolized soy protein, salt, sodium phospates), tomato puree (water, tomato paste), high fructose corn syrup, white distilled vinegar, brown sugar, molassses, seasoning blend, modified cornstarch, salt, caramal color, natural smoke flavoring, cultured dextrose, propionic acid, nisin preparation.

Contains soy ingredients

Gluten Free

The only question I have is the hydrolized soy protein..is it the hydrolized plant or vegetable protein we cant have? And ive heard things on caramel color. Is caramel color ok? Thanks!!!

I take it you're in the US? If carmel color is made from wheat it must say carmel color (wheat) or "contains wheat ingredients" somewhere on the label. Most carmel color in the US is made from corn because corn is so easy to grow here.

Hydrolyzed plant/vegetable protein is exactly the same. If it contains wheat protein in the hydrolysate it must have the word "wheat" either next to the ingredient or on the bottom of the list.

Fortunately, rye and barley are pretty rare, so the wheat allergy labeling is really helpful. You'll mostly find rye in baked goods. You do have to watch for the word malt on labels. Most of the big food conglomerates have stated that if they use oats, rye, or barley in a food it will not be hidden so that people with celiac can identify it.

Yes I am in the US. Thank you very much for this helpful information!!